Total Pageviews

Monday, March 30, 2015

Consultation with the plastic surgeon

Outside of rush hour traffic and barring rain, snow, accident and pot hole paving, I thought leaving at 1:10 PM should be enough time to get to Andover from Boston.  However, it dawned on me as I started seeing strategically placed police cars and motorcycles, that President Obama was in town.

Most of the presidential activity was going to take place at JFK/UMass, but you can never tell if the entourage might want to take a jaunt up route 93 to take advantage of the Khol's 30% off sale.  Luckily for me I got ahead of them, save the few 'creeping moses' drivers who seem to appear out of nowhere.

I did make it to Dr. Chatson's office at 2PM just in time to fill out three pages of paperwork.  Yup, all the same questions again. [Still trying to catch me in a lie.] After submitting my pop quiz, it was pointed out that I didn't have the complete telephone number for my primary care doctor.  Certainly, "I'll get that".  Taking out my phone to Google him, I was reminded that cell phones were prohibited.  Mea maxima culpa! I did know most of the number, but the last four had threes, eights or sevens.  Well she looked it up and sure 'nuff last four were 3877. Success!  I was let into the holy of holies where I was told to sit and wait.  Not too long after, a physician's assistant (Kelly) came and took my vitals.  Afterwhich, I was told to wait for the doctor.

Dr. Chatson rapped on the door and entered, introduced himself and proceeded to ask about my story.  He seemed very engaged.  First impressions: nice guy.

In general terms he began describing the types of reconstructive surgery but stopped short and said every option/patient was unique.  He then asked me to bare my chest and asked some questions as he was pressing, poking and gently pinching.  He asked me to stand in front of a mirror with him beside me.  He had a look of an artist versus a doctor.  He was quiet for a few moments then suggested we sit down to discuss the options 'as he saw it'. What he said after was very interesting.

Dr. Chatson envisioned the treatment to be multi-phased.  First, given my strong feeling not to have radiation, he said Dr. Moore would perform the mastectomy, but Dr. Chatson suggested that he assist.  He said Dr. Moore would need to remove what he needed to, but knowing what he (Chatson) needed to be left (not compromising or endangering me to further cancer related surgery) he thought that he would be able to 'set up' the next surgery.

Second, after the drain is removed and mastectomy is healed, suggested that I undergo a 'fat graft'.  Explained to me, it was like taking existing fat from my abdomen or sides (I new it would come in handy one day) sucked out and relocated to depressions caused by the mastectomy.

He said it didn't make sense to reconstruct the left breast to look like the right.  [Let's face it- I've never had a chiseled chest] At the same time, he said that he would perform a breast reduction on my right side and use some of the fat cells for the left to create symmetry.

My vain monitor went off.  It sounded like I could end up having both sides look better than today.  My question:  Since this would be the second surgery, wouldn't it be perceived as being cosmetic by the insurance company?  He thought not, but offered to write up the whole plan for Harvard Pilgrim.  He said (generally) when cancer is involved, these types of surgeries are covered.  He took some pictures (for his write up) and said he would get back to me and hopefully the insurance would cover it.

He anticipated my next question and provided a book of before and after photos of his actual patients.  Amazing. He is an artist.

Not that I relished the thought of multiple surgeries, but the end results appear to meet all the needs: mastectomy and reconstruction (both breasts for symmetry).

What a difference a day makes.  I really liked Dr. Chatson.  This appointment has made me rethink this whole thing.

I have a follow-up meeting with Dr. Mehta tomorrow.  Let's see if the genetic test results are back and what that information will do to my thinking.


No comments:

Post a Comment