Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Discovery

On Thanksgiving Day 2014, we had our first real snowstorm of the season.  Not even Winter yet, the snow was heavy and wet. Muscles not normally used for shoveling were getting their first of the season work out.  Little did they know they would be getting an extended workout with the record amounts of snow at the end of January through February 2015.

The next day, this old body was sore from the shoveling but the area near my left breast was especially sore.  I thought I may have pulled a muscle.  Everyone knows the rule of thumb is - wait a few weeks and if the pain doesn't subside, then maybe you need it looked at. Time marches on.  The Holidays came and went (as well as that Thanksgiving snow) but the annoying pain remained.

After New Years I took some time to zero in on the exact location of the discomfort.  I pressed the flesh under my arm and extended across my chest.  When I neared the area of my nipple it seemed more tender.  Further examination revealed some sort of lump.  Being a young guy of 62, I have all sorts of age related 'things' on the skin and many aches and pains that you just grow accustomed.  But, this lump was new and a bit sore to the touch.  I did check the other side and didn't find anything similar.  I had an annual physical scheduled for early February, so I had planned to tell my primary care doctor my latest development.  Maybe by then it would disappear - I hoped.

February 6th came and the tenderness had not subsided.  My annual physical went well.  Then my doctor asked, "Is there anything new?"

After explaining how I discovered and what the symptoms were, he had a go at it.  "Yup, it's a lump.  We should have it looked at.  I'll have you go downstairs (Holy Family - Haverhill).  I'll send the 'orders' to registration and they'll direct you".  He also sent me for a blood test.  Which was a normal course of events.

I had been fasting since the previous evening and had no coffee, so I was groggy and really didn't want to waist the day waiting without any type of sustenance. After the blood I was quickly ushered into the mammogram room. I must add that I have a new-found respect for women who have to experience that torture.  After lots of squeezing, contortions and pictures I waited until they had a chance to view the results.  Whatever they saw made them usher me into ultra sound.  The technician explained what was going to happen and why this was taking place.  I couldn't see the screen, but I did hear some hmmm's and ooo's.  He left to get another to join in on the antiphonal sounds of oooh, and I see.  Yet another came in to join in.  Then they all left which seemed like an eternity. Finally a Doctor Saltman arrived with the entourage and she explained what they all were seeing.  She even showed me on the screen.  One of the technician flicked a switch and the image appeared to shimmer.  I asked why and she said, "It has a blood supply".  She said that it has to come out and she would report back to my primary.

Got home and soon after received a call around 4:30 PM informing me that I was being set up for surgery at Holy Family by Doctor Moore on Friday the 13th.  Really - Friday the 13th?

1 comment:

  1. No comment? Really? I have some. Happy to hear you had such an attentive medical team that acted quickly. And...being a youthful lady of almost the same # of years as you, and having had the privilege of frequently posing in front of the "mammography camera"; and with no coffee no less, I have a great deal of respect for you for not having given them a picture of your own making.
    P.S.....I'm new to this and am not sure why I'm an "unknown"

    ReplyDelete