Total Pageviews

Monday, March 16, 2015

Holy Family - Scans

Congratulations Boston, you broke the record for the 'snowiest winter in recorded history'.  Now can all the prayer circles start focusing on things that matter?

Had about three inches of that rare precipitation on Sunday.  Of course the shoveling I did only made things worse because it left a sheen of black ice in its wake.  Cleaning off my car this morning I almost fell.  At one point I had the awful thought that I would slip and fall by losing traction on the ice around the perimeter of the car resulting in a broken something.  Thankfully that didn't happen.

I arrived at Holy Family about 15 minutes early for my CT scan and was given the obligatory paperwork to complete.  Really?  There was nothing asked that I hadn't already provided answers.  As I was completing the double sided form, a medical professional approached me with two capped styrofoam cups.  Quizzically, I asked what they were for.  Apparently  I needed to drink these 'contrasts' to help define the images.  [Thinking 'images' referred to the CT scan].  I was told that I needed to drink one and a half and save the last half before the scan.  In addition, I needed to have some dye injected.  Lovely.  I was given a one sheet of info on what I'd be drinking and the 'side effects' [of course].  Got right to work drinking.  Really didn't taste bad.

I was called by a different professional and led through the labyrinth to a small room with annoying flickering lights.  She said, "It's been reported many times".  Apparently it's the best they could do to remedy the annoyance.  I was asked if I ever had a reaction to iodine.  I replied that I don't recall ever having any iodine so I didn't know.  She said that she was going to give me a shunt for the injection of Iodine and later for the saline and another drug (can't remember the name) that will be used for the bone scan.  I had forgotten that I had both tests scheduled for today.  Whatever.

I got my fix of Iodine and was sent back the waiting room where I needed to wait for a few hours.  I guess the iodine and 'contrast' needed to work themselves through my system. 

There was no Internet or phone signal in that part of the hospital.  My one-sheeter indicated that it was a good idea to get up and move around.  So I took the opportunity to head outside for a signal, catch up on some email and make a few calls since these tests were going to take longer than I thought.  Also, the 'contrast' was most likely going to give me diarrhea.  Not something you want to deal with in Boston traffic. So I wanted work to know I wouldn't be in today.

Got back to the waiting room and around 11 AM,  I was called for the CT scan.  The technician placed me on the cradle and told me she was going to give me saline.  Just before the scan she gave me something she said may make me feel hot and may make me feel like I'm urinating, but I won't.  WHAT?  [How could I tell if I was or wasn't?]  Then she said not to move.  [So if I think I'm wetting myself I can't even check to see if it's real or not?]

The injection did make me feel warm and I could feel it spread through my body.  Thankfully I didn't have the urination sensation.  The scan went fast - which surprised me. I was told to grab something to eat in the cafeteria or Dunkins and be back just before noon.

By this time nature was calling.  I'll leave it at that.

Made it to the main entrance and couldn't find the cafeteria, but Dunkins was there so I had a breakfast sandwich, caught up on some email and texts and made it back to waiting room on time.

Around 12:30, I was called.  I followed the technician through what seemed like a big circle but eventually I found the scanner.  It took up the whole room.  She instructed me to lay in the cradle and gave me pillows.  She asked if I was claustrophobic.  Replying no, she said that the camera is very close and moves very slow.  "Breath regularly, but don't move', she instructed.

The 'slab' moved into place.  It did feel like I was in a coffin.  Very confining.  Tried to relax and concentrated on not moving.  I didn't realize it at first but the slab was slowly moving away from the camera.  It seemed to take about a half hour.  As I got further  away from the camera, I could see I my peripheral vision that the machine was displaying images on a small screen to my left. I couldn't turn my head so I couldn't make out too much other than a form.  Must be me, I thought.

Finally the machine stopped.  She came back in and made a few adjustments to the scanned then said she was going to scan the chest area.  Thankfully this didn't take as long.  Then she came in and said, "You are all done.'  Great.  [Just in time. My stomach gurgled.]

Since being home, nature has been calling.

They are sadists I tell you.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, buddy! I had my CT scan this AM...I thought the drinks they give you are disgusting haha! I hope that everything else comes back nice and clean for you :) And now...we wait! ;)

    ReplyDelete