Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Radiologist Consultation

Arrived at Holy Family - Methuen for my appointment with Dr. Goff, Oncology Radiologist.  I was just there a few days before, but the entire first floor was vacant.  Signage indicated that construction was in progress and various units/doctors had been relocated to other floors.

On the ground floor (which to me was down from the floor I came in - go figure), I checked in with the receptionist.  They had my folder - yay! I had to sign an authorization to bill my insurance and was told to sit and wait.

Not too long afterwards, Kelly called me and accompanied me to the examination room.  After checking my vitals she asked a few questions from her paperwork that apparently had no recorded answers.  Same types of questions I've been asked many times.  [Are they trying to catch me in a lie?]  She completed her tasks and told me the doctor would be with me in about 15 minutes.  Hmmm, that didn't bode well.  So precise.  She could have said shortly or in a few, but 15 minutes?

About an hour later Dr. Goff came in to the examination room.  [No apologies for his tardiness].  He did say that he was reviewing my chart and began to tell me as if to verify that he got things right. He asked me to explain how I discovered the mass.  After which he began to tell me that he received the results of my CT scan and Bone scan.

The bone scan was favorable - meaning no cancer was detected.  Although it was unlikely, the scan would have picked up metastasized cancer if it had spread to the bones. So they found NADA - NONE!

The CT scan was also favorable, but he did see some things in the lung.  They were inflammatory NOT CANCEROUS.  Asking what inflammatory meant, Dr. Goff said they were 'smears', possible remnants of a cold or bronchitis, but a few areas - very small.  He also said that at the bottom of one of my lungs he noticed a 'sliver' of a collapsed lung - very small, he reiterated.  I asked if I should be concerned and he said no.  [Really, why even mention it?]  Dr. Goff said he's not a surgeon and that Dr. Mehta will go over the results when I meet with him on the 31st.

Discussing the options for treatment, he did say that the lumpectomy would be accompanied by  radiation.  If that was the chosen path, he said after the surgery healed (about 3 weeks or so), radiation would start.  The initial visit is the 'set-up' where all the angles are determined.  The first treatment taking about an hour is a heavier blast (like a shock) and subsequent doses take about 15-20 minutes, for 5 1/2 weeks then an additional week of higher doses. He said there is burning (like a sunburn) and sometime blistering and peeling.  These symptoms are treated with a cortisone cream and another (don't remember) to relieve the burning.  Depending on the patient and pain, he sometimes prescribes percocet. [Not liking this].

I asked about risk from radiation exposure causing aortic cancer and he said that based on my age, the risk is low since that type of cancer takes many years to develop - if at all.  Also, the 'set-up' defines the angles to ensure the radiation is diverted away from major organs. He did say that a small portion of the lung would be exposed to this, but for the same reasons the risk is low.

He did say that a mastectomy will negate this completely - unless there were cancer cells found in the lymph node(s).  And depending on how many nodes, chemo may come into play.

Funny how simple words like: unless; but; if; and it depends can through a monkey wrench into the works.

Informative? Yes.  Some good news? Yes. More questions? You bet.




No comments:

Post a Comment