Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Really? Seriously?

A few years ago fellow commuters found my car irresistible and insisted on rear ending me (three times).  One time I had to have my car towed from the scene.  When the AAA driver arrived to assist, much like a doctor's office checks for insurance coverage, he asked for my card and called it in.  Of course I was current.  Giving it back he indicated that it was the first card he'd seen that had 'a member since 1979'. That card came in handy more than a few times since 1979.

Today I had a follow up visit with Dr. Mehta.  He had referred me to Dr. Goff (radiologist) and asked if I received answers to my questions. I brought Dr. Mehta up to speed.  I said that I wanted stay clear of the radiation and was mentally prepared for the mastectomy approach to treatment. I also mentioned that I had a check-in with Dr. Moore to discuss options for reconstructive surgery, who in turn referred me to Dr. Chatson.

Explaining what was discussed and the information I learned, I was strongly leaning toward mastectomy, reconstruction, reduction and tamoxifen.  Dr. Mehta recapped the 'general trend' to perform a lumpectomy with radiation but was totally understanding and supportive of my (current) preference for treatment.  I did mention about my concern about the insurance paying for the reduction.  And he, like others stated that for cancer, it's fairly common that other treatments are covered since we all have a self image that is an important factor in determining the best route to an acceptable end.

Dr. Mehta then looked at his file and said that both CT and bone scans came back favorable (no other cancers happening).  I knew this, but it was nice to hear again.  He then paused and said, however, "I've found something else".  I know that Dr. Goff had mentioned that some 'smears' showed up in the CT scan in the lungs and sliver of collapsed lung, so I was eager to hear more about this. But he said that I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm - referred to as Triple A.  What?  Really? Seriously?

Apparently it's more than 5 cm long (he gave other dimensions).  Anything that large needs to be taken care of right away.  It would be up to a vascular surgeon to determine if AAA repair should be done before the mastectomy or if can it wait. So he said that he would schedule an appointment with Dr. Pare.

Shocked by this, my mind had millions of questions circling.   Are there symptoms?  Sometimes. What can happen?  90% chance of death before getting to the hospital.  WHAT?????

Dr. Mehta said he would call my primary care and also make an appointment with Dr. Pare.

Got home and did some research.

Abdominal aortic aneurysm facts

  • An aneurysm is an abnormal area of localized widening of a blood vessel.
  • The aorta bulges at the site of an aneurysm like a weak spot on a worn tire.
  • Aortic aneurysms are typically spindle-shaped and involve the aorta below the arteries to the kidneys.
  • The most common cause of an aneurysm is arteriosclerosis.Smoking is a major risk factor.
  • Abdominal aortic aneurysms often do not cause symptoms. If they do, they may cause deep boring pain in the lower back or flank. Prominent abdominal pulsations may be present.
  • X-rays of the abdomen and other radiologic tests including ultrasound, CT, and MRI may be used in diagnosing and monitoring the aneurysm.
  • Rupture of an aortic aneurysm is a catastrophe. (you think?)
  • Repair of the aneurysm can be done by surgery or endovascular stenting.
I received a call from my Dr. Mehta's office saying that Dr. Pare's appointment was canceled and Dr. Rees (my primary) will be contacting me.

More to come.  

[Post script:  It's ironic that this cancer may have saved my life.]

1 comment: