Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Where everybody knows your name

Tuesday arrived and as I walked into Holy Family there was no need to ask where I was supposed to go.  Surgical Day Care was quite busy.  I was early so maybe the first round of patients hadn't all been called yet.  I checked in with Carmen who found my file right away and didn't question my co-payment that I processed online, although I was ready with proof.  There were no questionnaires to complete, but two authorizations (one to bill, the other to have the surgery performed - in that order). I was directed to the waiting area where I watched some mindless TV talk show then was greeted by my guardian for the day, Nurse Carol.

We walked the walk until we reached the not too pearly gates of Surgical Day Care.  It was hopping.  Lot's of activity.  We walked looking for a bay and stopped midway so Carol could find a 'tall bed'.  It seemed that all the tall Paul's were booked for today so she had to snag one from some remote location. She said weren't you just here as she wheeled the bed into bay 17. "Yes, about two weeks ago", I said.  "So you know the drill." I was told to undress all the way like I was going into the shower. [How could she know that I don't shower with my clothes on?]

Stripped and now wearing a johnnie, Carol returned and started asking the obligatory questions: name; date of birth; reason for today's procedure; which side; etc.  Lot's of shuffling of paperwork as a book was being assembled in a three ring binder.  Nurse Mary stopped by to talk about allergies and my experience with nausea following anesthesia.  I was told that I would be given a patch behind my ear and to remove it the next day taking extra precaution to fold it on itself as to not get any medication on my skin.  If I got it in my eye, it would dilate.  I mentioned that I did not have that last time.  She said that it was a Dr Chatson special, but she would check.

Carol came back and placed a number of items on the bed as she was going to prepare my IV.  As she sat down, she loudly said, "Christine, do you want to do this?".  Christine said,  "yes, in a minute." Carol hesitantly said, "I'll try it".  I laughed out loud and said "I'll TRY it? She immediately sensed my hesitancy and said, "You better do this Christine".

Christine was a pro.  She was done in flash.

Dr. Moore arrived and drew on me with his green sharpie as he described what the procedure would entail.  He though it should be quick and it sounded like some of the reconstruction was also going to be done.  He talked of correcting a defect.  I recall that when Dr. Chatson was examining me last week he pointed out two areas that needed some rework.  I can only assume that they were both talking about the same thing. I asked if I was going to have a drain again and he said most likely.  [It is what it is.]  Dr. Moore said he'd be seeing me shortly, then left.

Reminiscent of Hitchcock's Rear Window, I watched all the happenings and could overhear certain conversations close by.  One guy had mastoid surgery and was being briefed on post op care, while another guy was coming in to have something (a lump) removed from his neck.  A few beds away, someone was really in pain and moaned endlessly.  My bed was not comfortable and even without my caffeine intake for the day, I couldn't even doze, although I did try. Even if I could, I had a parade of nursed stop by and ask the obligatory questions as the completed another page for the binder. Nurse Tammy dropped by and asked why I didn't have my patch on.  Soon after Nurse Mary said that we weren't using the patch and Tammy said she would 'check it in".  [I'll have to remember when checking the bill to see if this was charged to the insurance company]

Dr. Chatson stopped by and asked if Dr. Moore had visited and reassured me that he would be there assist. He smiled and said he'd see me shortly.

Around 3PM, the masses gathered and prepared my 'tall bed' for departure to the operating room.  The all too familiar ride was quick where I met with Nurse Margaret again.  She said good luck and I said Thank you Margaret.  She exclaimed, "He remembered my name'.  The other nurses there asked if what I did for work had anything to do with remembering people.  I said I had a good memory and am good with peoples names and faces as I named both nurses and others that had waited on me this visit.  Nurse Karen said that she could only remember people if they had a name tag.  I said that a face is a name tag and that's how I remember.  Of course, while I was being wheeled in I was introduced to Tony who had a surgical mask on.  I won't be picking him out of a line up.

Scooting over to the operating table was quickly prepped and before I knew it the IV was turned on and things began to sound tinny.  "Breathe deeply, please".  I felt myself drift away.



1 comment:

  1. You don't shower with your clothes on? Then hang them up to dry when you are done?

    ReplyDelete