Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I'll balme it on the full moon



I’m apparently allergic to garden work. 

On Memorial Day while waiting for a friend to pick me up, I saw some weeds among the flowers that grow with little attention from me.  I pulled a few long stemmed weeds  with my hands and I guess I brushed against something that gave me 'contact dermatitis'.  My forearm started to get red and 'bumpy' later that day, but I wasn't too concerned. Thinking that over the counter cream(s)  would take care of it, I started a regimen of Cortizone 10, then switched to Wal-dryl,  and finally a triple oat with calamine ointment only to be thwarted by its spreading.  

Concerned that this might delay my pending chemo treatment, I initially delayed going to work and broke down and scheduled an appointment with my primary care today (Tuesday).  

The check-in was uneventful and the wait wasn't too long.  I was called in for the weigh-in and the check for vitals and was asked to wait in the examination room for Dr. Rees.  Upon his arrival and exchange of pleasantries, he looked at the expanding patch of redness and quickly retreated to his laptop.  He expressed that he was unsure exactly what it was since it didn’t exhibit the classic signs of poison ivy or poison oak, but concluded it was something treatable.  He prescribed a ten day script of prednisone.  He didn’t believe that either the dermatitis or prednisone would have any ill affects to my upcoming chemotherapy.

He said he sent it to my pharmacy and it should be ready by the time I get there.  In parting he said, 'See you in August.' [My next appointment.] 

I wanted to give the pharmacy time to fill this, so I decided to gas up first.  Arriving at Walgreens, I approached the pick-up window and announced my intentions.  After the necessary screening to ensure I was consistent in my answers the pharmacy technician pecked at the computer keyboard while demonstrating a quizzical look.  "I don't see anything yet.  Sometimes it's slow getting here."  Apparently.  I indicated that I would be back and with my luck, I'd be notified just as I arrived home.

It didn't make sense to go into work for a few hours, so I checked in and took some vacation time, then got into some email exchanges.  At 4 PM, I decided to look at my online pharmacy account and was surprised to see that the prescription was sent to the mail service.   I chatted with a representarive (in the chat window) and was advised to call the 800 number.  After calling and navigating through the maze of prompts, I was connected with a live agent who couldn't help me.  I was transferred to another who was  (I thought) briefed on my situation.  She said that she would cancel the order.  "Great", I said.

"Ok, Richard, you are all set".  I asked if she sent it to my local pharmacy and she said she couldn't do that.  "The doctor will need to call it into retail", she said.  She suggested that I call the pharmacy directly so 'they could help'. [Grrrrr]

I called the pharmacy and got through to the pharmacy staff member who reaffirmed that the doctor needed to call in another prescription.  Of course it's 4:45 PM and the office is closed, so she said she'd call and leave a message and advised me to do the same. [Why am I thinking she'll do nothing?]

I called my primary care's after hours message service and tried to leave a brief message and request.

So here I am with a spreading red patch of swollen itchiness with globs of ointment that basically does nothing but smear on clothing, bedding, etc.

Yes, it's a full moon.  We'll leave it at that.  Maybe I'll get my script filled sometime Wednesday.  

I can't make this stuff up.

[6/3/15 Post Script: I received my prednisone and took my first dose at 4PM.  By 6PM I could see a marked improvement.]

No comments:

Post a Comment