Total Pageviews

Friday, August 14, 2015

Chemo # 4 and day one

My other chemotherapy treatments where scheduled for early mornings. But because I needed authorization from someone other than my oncologist, I did receive the authorization from Sandra Creamer yesterday. So, the appointment for my last round of chemo was scheduled for the afternoon.

When I arrived in the chemo unit, the morning crowd was clearing out.  I jumped into station 1.  Lucky seven was occupied.  I did see a full compliment of nurses: Liz, Ollie, Linda and of course Magoo...err, Roberta.  I waited until the first one was free.  Ollie came over and arranged all the implements of pain on the table then left.  Linda came over and took over.  I haven't had her before, but she was great.  First time and minimal pain.  Ollie returned and hooked me up to the first of my IV bags.  The saline solution finished then the anti nausea IV was attached for an hour of dripping.  All these fluids quickly passed through my system and were eager to enter the porcelain bowl.  As I've learned from my other visits, the drip machine runs on battery back-up so I unplugged it and wheeled it into the restroom.  While there I noticed that blood was being back-flushed  into the IV.  I also noticed that the unit was quiet.  Upon returning to my station, I got Ollie's attention and she said, "Oh, this is the unit that needs the battery replaced.  No worries, I'll call it in and reset the timer once it's plugged in."  Phew, that wasn't as bad as I anticipated. It was now time for the Adriamycin (that beautiful red poison). Just the look of the two huge tubes and now that color (one of my favorites) evoked feelings of anxiety and queasiness. Bring it on and let's get this thing done.

Linda approached and set up shop to administer these tubes manually (like each other time).  In chatting with Linda learned that she was originally from Maine, outside of Farmington and she reminisced about how many moose were there in the wild coexisting with the human neighbors.  She had moved closer to work, but wishes to move back to 'the country'.  Chatting about this and that makes the time fly and certainly took my mind off that poison.  Before I new it both tubes were done.  I told her before we do the next IV, I needed to make some red water.  [Adriamycin makes urine a red-blush color and it's good to get it out of the bladder as soon as possible because of the toxicity.]  Linda unplugged the IV machine and let me do my thing.  Upon my return, I replaced the AC cord and waited for the next treatment.

Ollie stopped by and with the Cyclophosphamide, the last poison, and connected me and turned on the machine.  "This will take about an hour", she said.  I settled in and took my cap and covered my eyes.  I was almost dozing when I heard a voice behind my chair.  Apparently a Dana Farber employee was on a headset providing the serial number to the IV unit needing a battery.  She apologized for disturbing me and slipped away.  About 40 minutes into this IV, I once again needed to visit the porcelain throne.  I disconnected the power and announced my intentions before leaving the unit.  Upon my return there seemed to me no one around.  I reconnected the power and resumed my position.  By this time, Ollie walked by and she said, "Oh ya, you need to be reset."  Beep beep beep, I was back on track.

The timer beeped and Ollie said, "You are all done.  I just want to flush you with a little more saline for about 5 minutes."  Not a problem, I said.

Liz stopped by and said that I was a real trooper and gave be a nice parting gift bag containing, water, hand sanitizer, chap stick, moisturizer, note pad with pen and hard candies.  The bag was water-proof and she said was the perfect size for a vanity kleenex box. There was also a hand written note saying, "Hope you feel better".  I thanked her and the team.  By this point I was all done.  I bid adieu and thanked everyone again (even Roberta). Knowing that this stuff was in me only the first part was done.  I now have 7-10 days ahead of me.

Arriving home, as expected, I was fuzzy brained, had a headache, really no appetite and little energy.  I got my water and sat in my chair and surfed the TV.  Not too much gained my interest.  I fell asleep and woke up just as the sun was setting.  I had my legs crossed so one leg was asleep.  I don't know how I managed it but one arm was also asleep.  Panic set in and I was having thoughts of stroke, neuropathy, and whatever.  However, the limbs began to wake up, but slower than normal.  I selected to stay put versus standing up and risking a blacking out.  Eventually I mustered enough courage and energy to get more water -  not before returning some used water to the facilities.

I went to bed at midnight and like last time, I woke up every two hours.  However, I was able to go back to sleep, but as 6 AM came, I was up for the day.  Still groggy, head-achy, and generally not feeling great.  I managed to have some coffee and a muffin. One side effect this time is spells of hiccuping.  Out of the blue for no apparent reason and defying all known remedies to make it stop.  Very strange indeed.

I'm not expecting tomorrow to be any better, but I'm resigned to the fact that things will get worse before they are better.  So I'm ready.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment