Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2015

Chemo # 4 - Follow-up with Dr. Mehta

Are people that bad of a driver or are they exercising 'uber car protection' by purposely taking up two parking spots?

Looking for a space to park today at Holy Family - Dana Farber was quite difficult.  I don't recall it being so busy there.  I guess my prior appointments have been on less busy days.  There must have been room for for an additional dozen cars but selfish people were parked outside the lines making the adjacent space un-park-able.  I ended up finding a spot the furthest distance away from the Cancer Care Unit.  Not that I minded walking, but trawling for a spot took more time than I anticipated and I was now running late.  Turns out it didn't matter.

The waiting area was packed.  While checking in I was scoping out a seat - any seat. Luckily someone was called in as I was about to sit. Most waiting were having their blood taken and vitals checked, so as one would leave, one would return causing a musical chairs effect. I waited a good half hour before being called for by blood draw.

There was a small line for blood with only one phlebotomist who was been harangued by a medical professional (a doctor possibly) because the lab worker wasn't working as fast as she wished.  Quite stressful atmosphere and not conducive to the likelihood of a near pain-free venipuncture.  Which turned out to be the case.  At least it was quick once it was my turn.  So quick that small talk was kept at a minimum and I nearly got much of a response to how busy it was.  [I guess it was an understatement so she may have felt it more rhetorical than an opportunity to explain why.]  I was dismissed to the waiting room (purgatory) and yet another chair.

Not to be judgmental, but most of the crowd in purgatory where older than myself, so there was no one missing work (I surmised), but the lady next to me kept asking for the time and was huffing because her doctor was now 15 minutes late.  I wanted to add that I had now been waiting an hour, but passed at being the 'one-up guy'. I had pulled my cap over my eyes hoping she would think I was asleep and stop asking the time.  It worked, but she was asking others around me.  I was gladdened to hear my name being called for the vital check.

Once again there was a line, but everyone knew the drill and things moved pretty well.  Apparently there was a trend for high blood pressure readings, mine included.  I wonder why?

I was released to spend more time in purgatory.  But finding yet another chair to sit and reflect on past grievances, I had noticed that Lady Time was gone.   Of course every void gets filled and this time it was someone who insisted on having a loud cell phone conversation.  The things that people say in public places when they believe their cell conversation is private.  So many rolled eyes. Entertaining if nothing else. An angel opened the pearly gates and called my name.  Yes!

I was guided to a familiar examination room and was told that Dr. Mehta would be right with me.  Compared to my other waits, he did show up quickly.  He looked refreshed after having some time off. I almost asked if he enjoyed his vacation, but dispensed with the small talk and got right into my reflections on chemo # 4.  Clearly this has been the most challenging. He agreed that the cumulative effect would result in this being the toughest.  We spoke of some of the persistent side effects, notably the neuropathy but spent more time talking about my loss of appetite and the changes to my sense of taste.

Dr. Mehta said, "These are all classic symptoms and compared to others, you did very well."  He indicated that my counts were lower compared to my other readings, but not low enough where I would need a booster.  He anticipated the levels would be near normal over the next few days.  This definitely mirrored how I was feeling, since yesterday was my first 'good day', but my having interrupted sleep patterns last night, today wasn't 'as good'.  He said, "You are free from breast cancer.' (Really free - what could have survived that 12 week ordeal?) So, I asked, "What's next? Another CAT scan or other tests?"

Dr Mehta said, "In women a mammogram and ultra sound would be next, but since you have no breast tissue I'm just monitored every three months."  He said that he was going to start me on Tamoxifen today.  I asked if it was for 5 or 10 years?  Dr Mehta indicated that Tamoxifen will 'kill' any new breast cancer cells by blocking the estrogen (my cancer is estrogen receptor positive).  However, there isn't enough data on men other than the comparative data of the Oncotype DX.  He said in five years there may be more data.  He'll be seeing me at intervals of every six months eventually.

We discussed the Tamoxifen and possible side effects.  He said that he wasn't worried, but regular blood tests and my knowing my body - and reporting these symptoms if they occur, the risk of 'bad side effects' is low.  He shook my hand, congratulated me and said he would see me in November. "Go on and live your life", he said.

By the time I reached check out, the waiting room was almost empty.  How is that? I had been there three hours - wow.  I got my paperwork for my next blood test (day before my birthday) and appointment just prior to Thanksgiving.  That's full circle since that's when I discovered the lump while shoveling snow last Thanksgiving.

I called home to check voice messages and Walgreens had left a message that my prescription was ready to be picked up.  I headed there.

The doctor told me he was going to give me a prescription for 90 pills with four refills to cover a year, but when I picked it up there were only 30 pills.  When I told the pharmacy assistant what I was expecting he said the insurance wouldn't cover 90, so they split it up. Knowing you can't fight the insurance company I said how much.  He said nothing.  Very odd.  I don't ever recall getting any pills for free.  But I'm not complaining.  Sure I'll gladly come back each month for my next free 30 pills. [I'm still suspicious though.]

Getting home, I read the insert and was shaken by all the possible side effects.  I guess the most dominant ones are hot flashes, head aches that dissipate over time and possible weight loss or gain (flip a coin).  There were some specific to the female gender that don't apply to me unless I sprout a vagina.  Just one more self examination I have to be mindful of.  One caution was that shouldn't operate a motor vehicle or heavy equipment until I know how this Tamoxifen will react with me.  So I decided to stay in and do some grocery shopping tomorrow.

It will be difficult over the coming days to determine if I'm recovering from chemo slower or having some effects of the Tamoxifen.  I have experienced a dull headache, but that could be from caffeine withdrawal. (I did have one mug today.  Maybe tomorrow I'll try more.)

So the chemo chapters are just about to close, but the challenge continues with reconstructive surgery and tending to my Triple A.

Much more to come.

Thanks to all my readers for your support as well as my family, friends, musicians and former work colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment