Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

pre-Winter Solstice Update

12/21  marks the last day of Fall and tomorrow (12/22) , the first full day of Winter: The Winter Solstice.  I'm looking forward to gaining a few more moments of daylight as the days progress.  Unfortunately, the Winter brings my least favorite weather: snow; cold; ice; and host of other meteorological 'joys' that demand immediate attention. As has been the case, time will fly by and we'll be changing the clocks ahead.  Until then: wait and see.

I had my follow-up visit with Dr. Pare for my abdominal aortic aneurysm (Triple A).  Six months ago I was given good news that my malady had no changes in size.  Unfortunately, I did not receive the same prognosis after today's ultra sound.

Dr. Pare said, "Last time your aneurysm was about 4.8 to 4.9 cm. Since then it is now measuring 5 to 5.1 cm.  I don't want to alarm you, but we are now at the point were we need more information.  I will order a CAT scan at Holy Family to have a better view.  Based on that, we can make a determination on the next step.  I believe that a relatively non-invasive stent can be placed at the site.  Let's see what the CAT scan shows. We'll make an appointment today for sometime in January."  He asked if I had heart troubles, pains, shortness of breath, to which I responded no.  I did say that there is a history of heart disease in my family. After wishing me happy holidays, I was told to button up and see his assistant on the way out.

I walked by the assistant's office when I heard my name being called. I went in and she (didn't get her name - she had an accent) told me that I would need blood work and insurance authorization before scheduling.  In addition, I would need a follow-up with Dr. Pare after the scan.  She will call me over the next few days once the insurance company gives approval.  However, she said that I could go anytime for blood work.  While I was in Methuen, I decided to head to Holy Family to get the blood done.

All of my blood work had been done at the Dana Farber Cancer Care unit, so I went there first, but I was directed to the main hospital.  Upon entering the lobby, I was greeted by a woman who looked at my work order and directed me to the lower level.  I found room G-21 and immediately recalled that I was there during the reconstruction of the Dana Farber lab.  I entered, spoke with the reception and was told to wait to be called.  They weren't busy, but I waited almost a half hour.  It was lunch time.

A woman walked by and asked if I was there for blood work. [Well dah!!!] Answering yes, she then invited me into her lair.  She went right to work and drew blood with a minimal amount of discomfort.  Merry Christmas, she said as I left.

So now it's a waiting game.  Depending on the results and prognosis following the CAT scan, if I do need a procedure, I will contact St. Elizabeth's in Brighton.  I originally went there, but was told to 'take care of the cancer first'.  I got the baseline images for the Triple A, at Dr Pare's only out of convenience.  If there was no change (as was the case up until today), I would continue to have it monitored locally.  Now let's see what the CAT scan shows.

Not the Christmas gift I was hoping for.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment