Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Green light for the EVAR (EndoVAscularRepair)

The latest chapter of my challenge is becoming real.  On Thursday, March 23, 2017, I was given the approval to "proceed to go" [for fans of Monopoly].

I had my pre-op appointment with the anesthesiologist for my Triple A (Abdominal Aortic Anuerysm) endo-vascular procedure schedule for early next week.  My appointment was at the UMass Memorial campus in Worcester. I'm happy that the weather cooperated and the bright sunshine provided positivity and hope.  UMass Medical is huge, really huge.  But, thankfully I was able to find parking in a lot right outside of the building I was visiting.  [Reasonable price too - $3].

Not knowing where exactly to go, I was guided by exceptional signage and arrived 25 minutes before my scheduled appointment.  Everyone was extremely friendly. After being directed to the waiting room, I was called in to pre-register.  Since I had already updated my patient portal, most of the work was done and it was merely checking to see if anything had changed.  Within a few minutes I was given a patient bracelet  and asked to return to the waiting area.

It wasn't long at all before my name was called.  I was instructed to follow the nurse to the examination room section and quickly had my vitals checked.  I was informed that I needed to provide a urine and blood sample.  Easy enough, I had to 'go' anyway.  The phlebotomist was great.  Despite the condition of my veins in the only arm available for this (due to lymph removal in my left arm), she was able to fill a few viles with minimal discomfort.  I told her that others have had much trouble taking blood in the past.  She said, "I've been doing this for 25 years".  Experience has its benefits.

Dan Smith, the Nurse Practitioner arrived with a few questionnaires and some paper work that I needed to sign.  He was very thorough.  I was surprised on what I needed to do prior to and following the procedure.  I was given two antiseptic sponges that I needed to use in the shower the night before and morning of the procedure.  In addition, he said that he would prescribed a special (mouth) rinse that I also needed to use  on the same schedule.  Both were designed to prevent infection and pneumonia.  I was also informed that I had to use a lung 'incentivizer' to help stretch my lungs after the procedure.  Apparently, lungs shrink under anesthesia, and this device helps 'stretch' them back.  [I had never heard of this and was not given this devise for any other surgery that required anesthesia]. I had mentioned this and Dan told me that the type of procedure I was going to have is very serious.  [Apparently].  He finished up the paper work and quickly ran through the order of events and my responsibilities.  He did say that he would call in the prescription for the rinse and a anti-nausea patch that I need to apply the night before.  [I'm wondering what the morning shower will do to the patch..?]  He said to expect a call on Monday informing me on the time of the procedure.  [That's off-putting].

Dan left and shortly after, the anesthesiologist arrived.  [I can't remember her name].  She reiterated some of the information that Dan covered and answered some of my questions.  She did go over the risks and possible outcomes, but felt confident [because of my age and health] that things would go 'the normal route'.  She mentioned that Dr Schanzer is 'the best' and does hundreds of these types of procedures.  [This is my hope].  I did learn that the entry point will be in my groin, not my gut as I had thought.  She mentioned that there will most likely be two entry points for the needles (and guides), but sometimes the doctor needs to cut into the dermal layer to reach the femoral artery.  Generally, she said this would happen for patients that are morbidly obese.  [I guess I'm just obese...LOL]  It is what it is.

I asked if the plan was to still have one night's stay.  She said, "Depending on the time of the procedure, you may need to have two nights.  But everyone is different".  She asked if I had any further questions, and with my saying no, she said, 'You're free to go - and good luck".

Now the waiting.  I hope the procedure isn't too early, but not too late.  Although I'm getting a ride, no one wants to deal with commuter traffic.  Unlike my other surgeries, this procedure is 'way' inside.  So my anxiety level is very high.  One can't help but have thoughts of their own mortality under these situations.  All I can do is be hopeful and optimistic that the hands of my medical professionals are capable and that everything (for me) is 'normal'

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment