Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Follow-up with PCP - Dr. Rees

According to my instructions on my discharge paperwork that I received from UMass Medical, I had scheduled a follow-up visit with my primary care provider (PCP) - Dr. Rees.  He now works part-time and I was unexpectedly surprised when he showed his face.  He now 'Winters" in Florida and comes back to work in the Spring.  I have history with him, so his presence made me feel that much better.

Everything is run off computers these days, so with laptop in hand, he entered the examination room.  After greeting, he said that he was reading the 'file' and he has seen that I have been through a lot since our last face-to-face (August). But he expressed satisfaction in knowing it is all in the past (as I am).

He checked my vitals and reviewed my medication list and recent test results. "Things look good," he said.  He asked if I had any questions or needed to talk about any 'new business'.  I took the opportunity to state my case for not needing Atorvastatin.  I likened it to an honor student being forced to attend summer school.  My cholesterol numbers have been stellar - without medication, so having to take this was like a slap in the face.  Dr. Rees agreed with me.

He said, "Just because there are pills, doesn't mean that we have to take them all.  Atorvastatin is not a blood thinner and although it also used to treat heart disease, you don't have heart disease.  I would stop taking it."  Fine with me.  He asked that I come in for a lipid (cholesterol blood test) in about a month to ensure that my numbers are at their historical levels.

I'm glad to be off Atorvastatin, but I'm sure it will take a bit before I notice any side effects diminishing.  It should be interesting to see if my runny nose and hoarseness goes away...and anything else I've gotten used to.

Energy levels are improving and I'm almost to the point of wellness just prior to the procedure.  I was able to work in the yard today and mow the lawn.  It was a struggle toward the end, but I made it.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment