Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Visit with Doctor Gruber

Since my last visit with my dermatologist, Dr. Gruber of Andover Dermatology in December, I noticed a growth on my chest near my right breast.  Given my ugly relationship with breast cancer on my left side I was concerned as it seemed to appear out of nowhere and has grown quite a bit.  I originally tried to get an appointment at the beginning of the month, but the only appointment available conflicted with my appointment with my oncologist.  So they gave me a date in May.

As time went on, the growth was getting bigger (no pain) and looked very angry.  So I pleaded for an earlier appointment.

Today, I had my appointment.  I was a bit anxious given my luck with cancer, but knew that even if it were cancerous, it's treatable.  I clearly caught it early enough. After an easy check in I hardly waited until the nurse called me in to the examination room.  Once there, she was looking over my chart and noticed that I had just been there (December).  She asked why I was seeing the doctor.  Once I explained, she updated some information in my file and said, "The doctor will be with you shortly".  [Insert thank you, but don't call me shortly - joke].

Doctor Gruber came in and after pleasantries went right to work.  Right away he said, no worries.  'It's not cancerous.  It's seborrheic keratosis"

A seborrheic keratosis is one of the most common noncancerous skin growths in older adults. While it's possible for one to appear on its own, multiple growths are more common. Seborrheic keratosis often appears on the face, chest, shoulders, or back. It has a waxy, scaly, slightly elevated appearance. No treatment is necessary. If the seborrheic keratosis causes irritation, it can be removed by a doctor.
 
I requested that it be removed.  I was sick of looking at it and when I had a tee shirt on it looked like I had a third nipple.  He complied.
 
After a shot to numb the pain, he sliced it off.  He said that he will still send it to pathology, but feels that it is not cancerous.  He said I would receive notification in a week or so.  He placed a band aid on the area and said that there were no restrictions. And,  it would heal in a few weeks.

So glad to have taken care of this before the date in May.  Now I just wait for the confirmation that it is not cancerous.
 
Post Script: Received notification 4/2/22 via post card indicating that the growth was benign.

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that it was most likely a Seborrheic keratosis. Keeping the positive thoughts flowing.

    ReplyDelete