Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Good For Three More Years

After a hellish night of colonoscopy prep, I had crappy (not literal) sleep.  Just having to get up just as I was falling into deep sleep was torturous, but not having to 'let go' in the bed was worth my getting up every 15 minutes until around 3AM.  I did set the alarm for 9AM, but woke up at eight with that feeling, so I decided it was time to get up.  I was still fasting so I couldn't have anything, so I figured a shower would wake me up.  It helped, but not as much as a cup of coffee would have.

My appointment was at 10 and I had my sister who kindly agreed to pick me up at 9:40.  The hospital is on the other side of town.  Well at 9:15, the phone rang.  Figuring it was a robocaller, I let it go to my answering machine.  It was the nurse, Julie from the hospital asking if I was coming.  Strange, I thought since I confirmed my appointment through the portal.  But, I said yes, I'll be there for 10.  She said we like to have you come in sooner so you are ready for the 10:00 procedure.  I told her that my ride wouldn't be here until 9:40 and I'll be there as soon as I can.  She said, "Ok as long as you are still coming".  Very strange.

My sister Leslie arrived right on time and we zipped over to the hospital and I arrived at check in at 9:50.  I was directed to walk down a long corridor to endoscopy.  I arrived and there was a note on the door to ring the bell and have a seat. I waited for about 20 minutes.  A nurse had come out and was talking to another patient who was there for a 2:30 appointment.  I guess she was there early hoping for a cancellation so they could squeeze her in.  Not wanting to be aggressive and interrupt saying I was here for a 10 appointment and it's now past 10.  So I just waited.  She finally turned to me and asked why I was there.  Of course I said I had a 10AM colonoscopy.  She said the nurse will be right with me.  Interestingly enough, the other person was taken in before me.

Finally, the nurse called my name and I entered the prep room.  Julie was very personable and professional in gathering all the needed information and providing me with my required garb.  I donned the johnnie and stretch socks and jumped into bed.  She had provided a blanket that was warm to the touch.  Nice!

A few more nurses stopped by.  One gave me an IV the other questioned me about my history of anesthesia. From what I heard in various goings on, there's one room for procedures and one big room of 6 bays for procedural prep. The though crossed my mind about their slipping in a patient.  I looked at the clock and it was 10:10AM.

I lie waiting for my turn, I saw one patient return, who was still out of it, then they wheeled away the other squeeze-in.  I needed to get up a few times cause I had the urge, but while in the lavatory it was mostly water coming out of me.  The nurse did say that they do have a vacuum to do any clean-up that is necessary.  But, I don't want to ignore nature's calls.

I noticed at 11:10, the squeeze-in had returned.  The doctor had come out to discuss his findings with that first patient who had come out of his slumbers.  I guess that guy had a big polyp and a number of others that took longer than expected.  He has to come back in 3 months.  Poor guy!  The doctor went over to the squeeze-in and they seemed to be discussing something a bit more serious.  I did hear the word cancer.  But, it wasn't my conversation since I was eaves dropping.  Of course, I thought of the rule of three.  What will be my news?

I finally got into the procedural room and was introduced to the whole team (2 doctors and 3 nurses).  Each had their specific tasks and by 11:20AM I drifted into darkness.

I came to at 1:10.  Very foggy.  The nurse stopped by and told me that I did well.  The doctor removed 2 polyps (very small) and sent them to pathology.  The doctor stopped by and repeated what the nurse said and added that he'll see me in 3 years.

I don't anticipate any bad news from pathology and I'm glad this is behind me (no pun intended)

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment