Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The Start Of Something...good! I hope...

Since my last post I managed to get all my appointments in order.  There was a bit of confusion on what was verbally stated and what I received in the mail and subsequent emails.  Apparently the August 31st appointment wasn't really an appointment for my urine sample.  In order to get me 'in the system',  they need to create an appointment, but I could still come in between 9AM and 3PM.  I chose to go in during the fake appointment time since I didn't want to have any surprises.

I arrived at the appointed time and everything went like clock-work.  I was in and out in under 10 minutes. I was hoping I did not get a notice (like one time) that I had a UTI.  This would have made me ineligible for the treatment, but luckily I received no notice.  Good sign.

Treatment One

I headed out at 10AM today hoping to be at the N Andover office by 10:15.  It's only 10 miles away and all highway.  Got on the highway and noticed a sea of cars and red tail lights up ahead.  Also noticed the estimated time signs indicating a delay.  Luckily I was near route 213 and decided to take the back roads.  Good thinking on my part.  

I got off at the Pleasant St exit and took a side street that brought me to route 110 in Methuen.  Jumped on to Marston St then meandered to the 495 underpass to my exit on the other side of the river.  Of course I was stressing along the way and had every red light and slow poke.  I generally don't use my horn to alert drivers who aren't moving when the light turns green, but today I needed to, twice.  It's not like I blasted the horn right when the light turned green, but I waited a bit.  I guess they had important texts to send/read.  Ya, I was that guy tooting the horn today.  I didn't want to be late cause there was some mention that if I was late, I'd have to reschedule.  Didn't want that.

Finally arrived at 10:26AM and got to the window to check in.  After the Covid screening and temp check I was told I had an account credit so no co-pay today.  (Interesting, but Thank you).  I was given a plastic container for a urine sample and I noticed the attendant wrote down 10:29.  Phew!

I provided the urine sample and returned to the waiting room and had a seat. Seemed like less than a minute and my name was called. I was instructed follow her to the examination room.

The medical professional quizzed me on my date of birth and other personal info that I aced, by the way.  Approaching the examination room, I could see that it was still being set up.  She asked Michael if I should wait for him to complete and he said, "I'm just about done.  He can come in".

Michael is the Nurse Practitioner who administered the BCG treatment.  He verified my reason for being there and provided a brief overview of the treatment.  

BGC is Bacillus Calmette Guerin Vaccine.  It's basically the vaccine used for Tuberculosis.  It has shown great promise/results for treatment of non-muscular invasive bladder cancer by triggering an auto-immune response when instilled in the bladder. He said that he would inject the vaccine through a catheter and send me home to 'marinate' for 2 hours before 'voiding'.  He went over the most common side effects:

  • Transient fever;
  • Flue-like symptoms;
  • Abdominal lymph node swelling;
  • Bladder inflammation (causing the bladder to hold less urine);
  • Frequent urination;
  • Possible increased sensitivity to certain antibiotics.

He reviewed the more serious side effects which he said are rare, but needed to be noted.

He provided a copy of the consent form with all this information and had me sign and date his copy.  He then explaining the 'marination' post-treatment.  

Once home, I am to lay on my:

  • Back for 15 minutes;
  • Right side for 15 minutes;
  • Front for 15 minutes; 
  • Left side for 15 minutes

Then, repeat for a total 2 hours of 'marination'.  After, I was to 'void', then flush with a cup of bleach.

I noticed a huge syringe of clear liquid and said, "I need to have all that and hold it in for two hours?" He said, " Do the best you can.  If you have to go, then go.  But try to hold it as long as you can."

He then instructed me to 'drop trow' and he went at it.  Not too uncomfortable, but still a bit unpleasant.  It was quick and he told me to dress then I could leave.  He said, "See you next week."

I got home and immediately began the post-treatment.  I had a kitchen timer next to me.  While waiting to turn over, I practiced a jazz standard, Georgia On My Mind. I visualized the chords and fingering, in my head and was 'shaping' my fingers to 'air guitar' the chords.

Ding!  Turn over.   More of the same.  Ding! Turn over.  I'm not a stomach sleeper so this position was quite uncomfortable.  That was a long 15 minutes.  Ding! Turn over.  Ding! Back to my back.  Needed to go, but waited for the urge to pass.  Ding! Turn over.  Really gotta go now.  I had a flashback to my commute and having to deal with back-ups on the Tobin bridge and having to get rid of my morning coffee. Really uncomfortable.

I looked that the timer and I had 5 more minutes before my next rotation.  I couldn't take it any more.  So after almost an hour and 40 minutes I surrender to the porcelain god and pissed like a race horse. That felt good.

So I'm waiting to see what happens next.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment