Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Chemo # 2 check-in with Dr Mehta

Days leading up to the appointment
I must admit that my battle with fatigue has been the centerpiece of chemo #2.  I was warned by Dr Mehta that the cumulative effect of the chemo will amplify those I'm most affected by. Boy he wasn't kidding.  However, this time that period seemed to start on July 4th and gained strength before tapering off Sunday, July 12th. The worst was between Monday and Saturday.  It's possible that may have been shortened if I had not ventured to mow the lawn on the Thursday, the 9th.

During chemo # 1, I had visited Dr Mehta a week from the treatment.  That day seemed to be the first good day, so I thought that the 'week-i-versay' was safe.  The things we learn by trying.

Last Thursday was cooler and dryer.  The grass really needed mowing and I was feeling OK.  Energy levels generally are good in the morning so - to me - why not try?  Honestly, while mowing, I still felt OK.  It wasn't until I was done and put the mower away that it hit me. I was dizzy and almost to the point of passing out.  My peripheral vision was hazy and I had just enough energy to  'collapse' my upper body onto my shed.  I never lost consciousness but really wanted to get inside to sit.  I managed to stagger onto my three seasons porch and sit.

[This short jaunt was very reminiscent of my being quite intoxicated [during college of course] where I felt like I was a third party in my body and I was just hoping that I'd make my destination.]

It took me a good half hour before I was able to get into the house and rehydrate.  [Yes, yes to all those that had offered to help and I had said no.  I should have taken you up on it.] That stunt really wiped me out and I paid for it the rest of the day and into Friday.

Yesterday (Monday, July 13th), was a great day.  I had energy, felt wonderful and was so pleased to have broken the fatigue.  I was able to catch up on some household chores and still have energy to do some cerebral tasks.  Very uplifting and encouraging.

Today I don't feel quite as 'good' as yesterday, but I do know that I'll be on a pattern of good and bad days for a while.  Prior to my check-in today, I made a grocery run.  I finally got my shrimp ;-)

[I asked for a pound and a half when clearly a pound was plenty.  So I'll be having shrimp for a few days.]

Appointment Day
When  I arrived for my appointment at Dana Farber - Methuen, it was threatening to rain.  At the entrance I was greeted with a waft of second hand smoke from a patient smoking next to a "This is a non-smoking campus" sign.  Although I wanted to, I said nothing.

At check-in I got my wrist band, quickly had my blood drawn and was soon called back for my vitals. I had lost 5 pounds of that water weight and my pressure was 130/80 - not bad at all.  I was asked to wait to be called when the examination room opened up.  It wasn't long before I heard my name before being led to a familiar room.

Dr. Mehta arrived after a brief period and began asking about my side effects.  I had said that fatigue was the biggest.  He asked about stomach pains, nausea, spasms, constipation, numbness and fever.

I said, "I'm still regular and luckily nausea-free. Other than the fatigue, the most notable side effects were: stomach cramps; lack of appetite; lingering numbness in the forefinger and thumb; and intermittent numbness in my toes/feet."

I told him the cramps appeared to be related to gas that I had experienced this time.  He asked if I had experienced any mucositis or sores.  I had mentioned that I experienced a sloughing of skin in my mouth.  He interjected with, "Any sores?"  I said, no.

Dr Mehta asked about the intermittent numbness in my feet to which I added, "I noticed that when I'm standing stationary for a period of time, I get the sensation that my feet are falling or have fallen asleep and I get that 'pins and needles' feeling.  When I move, it seems to go way."  He had no explanation but recorded this in the notes.

He said, "You continue to amaze me."  Quizzically, I asked, "How so?" He said while turning the laptop toward me, "You are on your second round of chemo and your white and red blood cell counts are near normal."  He showed me a table of data that shows a fairly consistent range.  He said, "This is good.  You don't need a booster." [I'll take all the praise I can garner at this point.]

He asked about the dermatitis (which has since completely cleared) and if I had had a sore throat.  "Knock on wood, no sore throat."  He asked - charlie horse?  I mentioned that I had one episode but it was because I had not eaten a banana.  He entered more notes.

He checked my glands, lungs/breathing and heart.  He smiled before saying, "You're good for the next round of chemo, next Thursday."  Shaking his hand I said, "I'll be more than half done at that time."

I'm hopin that my good days coincide with the good weather predicted for this weekend and hope to take part in some summer recreation before it slips away.

Thanks to all my family, friends, former co-workers and blog readers for your support, concerns, offers of help and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment