Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2022

Good Riddance Catheter

After a 5 day stay, I bid adieu to the catheter.  I knew I had no-love for the device, knew it is/was necessary, but not saddened in the least to rid of this torturous device.

I recall reading that during WW2, American POWs captured by the Pacific branch of the Axis were forced to dig shallow graves smaller than their height and width.  They were forced to stay in their grave, but because it was too small, they had to stick their feet, head, or arms out in order to fit.  To make things worse, they were forbidden to stick any of their body out of the confined space.  If they did, their captor would step on their hands, bash their legs/arms/head to gain compliance.  Horrid!

These last days, trying to sleep, that's all I could think of.  I could find no comfortable spot and turning tugged the tube and was painful.  This made restful sleep nearly impossible.  As a result, my back, legs, arms and muscles are sore.  In addition, because of my tag-along friend, I could not take my daily walks.  So I was also burdened with constant charlie horses.  I hope things improve.

I had an appointment today at one of Dr Previte's offices in N Andover to have the catheter removed.  I had googled the location and had a good idea which building the office was located.  I lucked out with a parking space near the entrance.  The elevator to the third floor was right off the main entrance, so excessive walking wasn't an issue.

Upon arrival in the office, I was temperature checked, ID'd, grilled with Covid questions and charged a co-pay.  It is what it is.  I didn't have to wait too long before the Nurse Practitioner called me in to an examination room.  She asked a few follow up questions and explained the immediate next steps.  She dismissed herself and said the Zack will be in to remove the catheter.  Finally!

Zack arrived and spread out a 'diaper' over the examination table hand had me drop my shorts/underwear and lie back.  He explained he was going to infuse me with some sterile water to help me 'go' and make sure the plumbing still worked.  He had 4 cylindrical syringe pumps-full of water.  After the first I got that 'gotta pee' feeling, then another injection, then another, then another.  Oh my god, did I have to go.  He then said he'd be removing the catheter and I'll probably pee, so he gave me a plastic urinal (parting gift just for playing?).  As soon as the catheter was removed, the dam broke and I got about 400ml of fluid, although he pumped in much more.  Nothing more seemed to come out, so I stopped.  He said, "Why did you stop"?  I told him because that's what you do when you are done.  Apparently he expected to have me 'leave the channel open' and just drip.  He asked to me to stand.  Picture my standing on a stool with my pants down trying not to lose balance.  He gave me his hand and had me step off the stool.  I did manage to do a bit more pee.

Zack then said that I may see some blood, but it shouldn't be alot and there will be burning.  He said the catheter had been stretching the urethra and things will return to normal, but there was a concern that when that happens, I might not be able to go.  He said that if I don't go by 2PM, call the office.  He said that I may have to have a catheter again.  [Please No]

He told me to not force things and 'go' when I had to.  He told me to take the urinal and use it if I'm driving and/or as the need arises.  [How do I explain this to an officer who stops me or anyone who sees me committing open and gross lewdness?]

Finally home and I went pee (not a lot but I went).  I have to drink fluids and watch for blood, clots and possible stoppage (bladder spasm).  Looking forward to a shower after 5 days of feeling gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment