Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Five days into Chemo # 3

Everyone has been great with the support and understanding I need to get through this.  Thank you.

This round of chemo has been the same in some aspects and different in others.  Like other treatments, I've been lucky to avoid the nausea and the need to take prescriptions to combat - if and when it rears its ugly head.  Last time I didn't have the lingering headache immediately following chemo, but this time I did.  Not debilitating, but nagging. Enough so that I really haven't been hungry.  I have had cravings, but the 'normal things' like a salad, I've been steering clear of.  I'm so glad that tomatoes freeze well (for later cooking).  However, Romaine needs to be chucked.  I'm glad there wasn't that much that needed to be thrown out.  I'm now on a cooked vegetable kick, so those frozen tomatoes will make an appearance I'm certain.

I'm so sick of flavored water.  I have at least a dozen cherry and limeade whose red color looks so much like the Adriamycin, that I'm tempted to chuck those so I won't be reminded of this terrible poison. I've been able to 'stomach' Fruit2O, but I'm down to just the lemon flavor only.  I drank one the other day and it felt like I had hair in my mouth. [Gross alert]  I soon found out that my mouth lining was sloughing as a result of the acid in the lemon drink. I did pick up some ginger ale today as well as Newman's pink lemonade.

As to be expected, I'm exhausted.  I was disheartened this time because my sleep patterns were disrupted for a few days.  I'd go to bed at 11 PM and then be wide awake at 2 AM for a number of days in succession.  Not having lots of energy, I assumed the couch potato position and partook in an endless diet of Law and Order.  Not a bad show, but the commercials - especially in those off hours, are really too much.  Sue me, sue you, sue the hospital, sue the drug companies, sue Sue.  Enough.  It's no wonder there's a spike in post traumatic stress.  Maddening.  At least I can pause live TV and accumulate enough of a buffer to zip through the commercials until I space it and change the channel - effectively loosing my buffer and half the unwatched show. [Insert expletive here.] Around Sunday, I broke the sleepless pattern and started a new regimen of  sleeping for almost 12 hours straight.  At least the day goes by faster and quicker to my 'good days'.

The body is trying like hell to repair itself.  There are some casualties.  My poor right arm is bruised and painful in places as a result of the chemo being pushed through my veins.  My 'oopsies' are quite visible [Thanks Roberta - hope you got your prescription updated.] My two finger neuropathy continues.  The tingling in the feet also continues, but intermittent. My hair appears to be trying to grow back, albeit slowly.  I haven't seen any different colors and my beard is still quite light - requiring a shave only once or twice a week. I'm maintaining my weight.  I gain a pound - then lose a pound, but have maintained a fairly steady weight.  I'm religious about taking my temperature and that seems to be fairly consistent too.  I'm still regular (no doubt as a result of my cooked vegetables kick).

I'm hopeful that each day will be better going forward.   Thursday marks one week.  If this is like last time, I should be seeing noticeable changes by the weekend.  We are scheduled for our first heat wave in two years and it's supposed to be extended. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of the weather to enjoy some time by the shore (lake, ocean or pools side).

Keep cool.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment