Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 6, 2016

March 2016 - Updates

It's March and my least favorite season is winding down.  Although we could still be hit with an abundance of that white stuff, I'm thankful that the past few months have yielded manageable amounts.  As I write this post I'm cognizant of various anniversaries of my challenge.  I've already hit the year milestone of when I was diagnosed and soon will be reminded of the various procedures leading to my numerous surgeries.  But that is in the past [YAY].

Since my last post there has been somewhat of a lull.  Later this month, more information will be forthcoming as I will be undergoing the knife for hopefully my last reconstructive surgery. Until that transpires here are some updates on a variety of topics.

Continuing and [possibly] new side effects

Neuropathy

  • Listed as a side effect for both chemo and Tamoxifen, my oncologist still insists neuropathy is 'generally' manifested on both sides of the body.  I still experience flare-ups of numbness in my forefinger and thumb on my left hand.  Most of the time I can work through these episodes, but there have been times, when playing guitar, that I have had to stop and 'shake my hands' to promote circulation to my 'sleeping' thumb.  For now this appears to work and I'm grateful that the right hand doesn't exhibit the same symptoms, since I would no longer be able to hold a guitar pick.  The numbness for the forefinger is situated in a spot that doesn't interfere with my fingering [for the most part].  
  • I still experience nuisance neuropathy in the balls of both feet and middle toes.  It's not debilitating and doesn't impede my ability to stand/walk.  However, I'm bothered by this as I begin to fall asleep.  It seems like my feet have fallen asleep and I begin to move them around.  This is probably because I can't sense/feel the sheets against my feet and this causes my brain to send warning signals to 'move those feet' before the pins and needles kick in.  I never get pins and needles regardless.

Chemo brain

I'm thankful that I have most of my faculties when it comes to remembering songs/music I've played/learned decades ago.  I'm not quite certain if the fingers are the ones remembering (muscle memory).  But I'm thankful nonetheless.  I can also remember lyrics and arrangements with very little delay or problem.  However, I do have 'moments' still where I get stuck on the right word to use while conversing or writing.  This causes me pause as I quickly find a replacement word and simultaneously wonder why I'm having the difficulty.  Some would call this a senior moment, but I certainly feel it's related to the chemotherapy.

Cataracts 

I will be undergoing cataract surgery in mid April at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.I've been told by so many that this is a piece of cake.  However, given my luck, I'm cautiously optimistic. Dr Song tells me that 'sometimes' the inserted lens 'moves' and/or becomes clouded with gas.  If this happens, he will need to 'go in' again.  So you can see my concern. 

Cracking teeth

I find it odd that I've had three cracked teeth.  Each has happened at different times and apparently for different reasons, but one developed and abscess resulting in an abstraction.  One was cracked to the root, but the dentist is trying to save it, so it's just a matter of time for that.  A few weeks ago, I cracked a front tooth (bottom row).  I will be getting that fixed in April.  I can't help to think this too is related to chemo.

Muscle spasms

Despite the daily walking and vitamin intake, I'm still bothered by charlie horses in my calves.  This happens while sleeping and is/can be very painful.  I researched and found that quinine (tonic water) is listed as a homeopathic remedy.  I'll keep you posted.

On the bright side...

Creativity spell continues

I've been pleasantly surprised by this continuance of musical creativity.  Since September, I've written 25 songs.  I've practiced and performed 20 thus far and I continue to craft the remaining.  I have a glut of random musical ideas and snippets of lyrics.  I've been fortunate to have found a few outlets to 'try these out' on listeners.  I've been frequenting open mic sessions and have been pleased by the feedback I have received on my original compositions.  I've also been drumming up business (and followers) by playing at intimate gatherings (house parties).  I've worked on three 'sets' consisting of both my originals and cover tunes [to break it up].  I'm still dedicated to improving my piano chops and regaining some of my 'lost' soprano vocal notes that have been missing for decades.  I've regained three semi-tones on my top end.  Two more to go ;-)

I've been playing pick-up gigs and have found enjoyment in that.  I've been approached a few times by former band members to re-join them since my leaving last year.  I'm still pondering that decision since I'm not out the woods just yet (medically speaking).

More to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment