Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Three days - post surgery

I'm optimistically hopeful that Monday's reconstruction surgery was my last.  Oddly enough, the point of pain was not my breast, but the incision on my lower abdomen where skin was harvested.  Of course this is part of the body that was designed for bending, but having a nine inch sutured wound right at waste level is not conducive to any type of bending.

The Orchard Surgical was easy to find and very efficient.  The sign on the building says they are affiliated with Holy Family.  I was well attended by many staff members.  My last memory prior to the surgery was the anesthesiologist saying, "You'll feel  a little weird as the anesthesia kicks in".

Waking up in recovery was all too familiar.  The nurse was pushing the pain meds, but I needed to become more alert to assess my pain tolerance.  I did give in eventually and took a Percocet.  The nurse indicated that it would take about 15 minutes until I felt the effects.  By that time they had returned my belongings and helped me sit up and dress.  Yes, I was very sore.

My ride arrived and I was able to get into the front seat of the low-to-the-ground car very slowly and with much wincing.  Every bump and pot hole hit resonated within my body bringing much discomfort.  Getting home I just wanted to sit still and hopefully doze off.  Having fasted from the previous night, I was famished and decided to have a muffin.  I was quickly reminded that anesthesia has its own set of side effects: sore throat (from the breathing tubes).  It felt like I was swallowing chunks of cement even with the help of fluids.

I watched a number of programs I had on my DVR and took a few cat naps.  When I decided it was time for bed, I was contemplating  if I should take another Percocet.  I did, and I'm glad.  I ended up taking another around 3 AM.  I just couldn't get comfortable and watched the clock hourly. 

On Tuesday, I was in rough shape.  Extremely sore and really uncomfortable.  I was still having discomfort swallowing, but I could tolerate certain foods.  I was wearing a compression bandage around my waist and it was digging into my skin.  I was able to remove it and reapply over my tee shirt.  So most of the day, I just sat and watched TV.  Once seated, I seemed to get into a painless position, so I stayed there.  I slept a bit better Tuesday night as I was able to turn on to my right side.  Of course there was no place to rest my left arm, so I needed to shift that throughout the night because the circulation was cut off and pins and needle ensued.

Wednesday was better.  After my coffee, I was able to get things moving.  I was able to take a short walk (two miles), before my follow-up appointment with Dr. Chatson.  At the doctor's office, the physicians attendant removed my bandages and prepared me for viewing. At this time I saw the results of the surgery and the cause for my discomfort.  I took some 'selfies' for the archives and later review.  The abdomen surgical site was gruesome.  The breast (nipple/aureola) still had bandages which appeared to be sutured to me.  Weird.

Dr. Chatson arrived and quickly looked at the results.  He was pleased and also explained that bandages (that were sutured to me) cannot get wet.  So, no showers for me in the near future.  He did say that I can get every other part of my body wet.  [This will still be a challenge if I'm to keep the bandages dry.]  So I'll be soaking my bottom in the tub and carefully try to wash the parts allowed. Where there's a will (or a foul smell), there's a way.

I have two follow-up appointments scheduled with the next one having the bandage removed and approval for a shower.  He wants me to keep the compression bandage on until Monday and remove only when too uncomfortable. I did take it off last night before bed and it seemed to help.

More to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment