Total Pageviews

Friday, May 12, 2017

Dr. Song follow-up and other 'lovely' updates

It's been a year since I had my cataract laser surgery and my In-Ocular-Lens (I.O.L.) implant. Today, I had my 'yearly' check -up with Dr. Song at the Waltham location for the Massachusetts Eye and Ear.

Traffic cooperated today and I arrived a half hour early to a packed waiting room.  It didn't seem to take too long before I was called in for my eye test(s) and dilation.  My vision continues to be very good in both eyes and I do not need corrective lenses.  My cataract in my left eye hasn't changed much since my last screening (about 6 months ago).  Everything checked out OK.  I was asked to return to waiting room so the dilation drops could take effect.

About 15 minutes later Dr. Song called me into his examination room.  He had mentioned that he was reviewing my chart/history and seemed surprised about my recent Triple A repair.  He asked how things were going (for my eyes).  I had mentioned that the only 'issue' I had was the halo effect I experience when I go into an area that has heavy fluorescent lighting and/or bright (LED) overheads. I mentioned that my brain assimilates after a period and I'm no longer aware of the anomaly.  He reminded me that this is caused by moisture buildup between the lens and the tissue at the bottom of the 'capsule'.  "This can be easily corrected," he said.  "We can monitor this and if it gets worse or becomes bothersome, we can discuss performing the procedure".   I agreed.  He then to check my eyes. The good news is: Everything looks good and I will need to see him next year.  [Yay]

I left his office and visited the receptionist for next year's appointment information.  Leaving the office the sun decided to make a rare appearance and I was glad to have remembered to bring my sun glasses in with me.  Between the bright sun and the dilated eyes, I'd be squinting without the glasses.

The ride home was uneventful.

Other medical updates


It must be a law or protocol to inform the patient of the results of any type of imaging performed.  Last December, I was notified that there was no cancer detected in my mammogram.  Well I did get the results of the CT scan I had done at UMass Medical on May 1st.

Primarily, the results were favorable for the final placement of the stent (repair of the Triple A) and there was no endo-leak.  However, there was a notation that the aneurysm was now a bit larger (6 cm.).  I recall my research and Dr. Schanzer's saying that the 'sac' will begin to shrink over time.  He did say that the risk of rupture (at the site) has been almost eliminated.  There is no blood supply or leak that could cause this.  This news is just a bit disconcerting to me.  But they are the professionals and I'm scheduled to see him in December.  I'm optimistic that things will be better. [Fingers crossed]

There were also two entries that surprised me.  Apparently I have a Hiatus Hernia (not Hiatal) and a distended gall bladder without stones.

  • I did some research on the hernia.  The Hiatus is the end of the esophagus as it 'starts' the stomach. This condition can be caused by acid re flux (GERD) [Which I have]; straining; excessive coughing; sneezing, and some others.  There are no symptoms until it gets bad.  For many there are no real problems.  But with my luck....

  • The distended gall bladder research indicated that the cause could be a blockage of the bile duct (generally a stone) or another serious type of illness - my cancer??  Once again the symptoms mimic other maladies (heart attack being one) and manifest as the condition worsens.  Treatment is exercise and proper diet or removal of the gall bladder.   I currently get a good amount of exercise (walking) and I'm good about making healthy choices when it comes to eating.  [Thank you, Weight Watchers]  So I'll have to 'be aware' of this.

The report also indicated that a copy would go to my PCP.  So I have some questions to ask Dr. Rees when I see him in August.  As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say: It's always something!

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment