Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Two week follow-up

Trekked into UMass Medical, Worcester with my sister, who on this National Siblings Day was kind enough to drive me (again).  I had been restricted from diving since the procedure and although I could have driven myself, it would be just my rotten luck that something would happen when I wasn't supposed to be operating. Thanks, Les!

The weather was wonderful.  We wanted the windows open, but the wind made it difficult to converse. So we resorted to cracking the window when it got a bit stuffy.  I told her it was reminiscent of my daily hot flashes (from Tamoxifen).  Nice ride, great company and good conversation.

We didn't get lost this time, nor depended on the GPS to lead us to a road closure. We got the 'perfect' parking spot and made it right when I had planned to be there.  Prior to boarding the elevator to the 3rd floor we each visited our respective restrooms. [Insert inappropriate Bathroom Bill humor here.] I was truly surprised for a healthcare facility, the there were no paper towels or hot air hand dryers. Don't you just hate it when you follow all the directions and wash thoroughly with lots of soap and water and then find yourself going from dispenser to dispenser in search of that towel.  And it wasn't even April Fools Day. Pant legs took the excess moisture.

Arriving on the third floor, it wasn't long before an attendant took my information and copay when she gave me a clipboard for my SAT's and asked me to sit.  I had only completed the first two sheets before a nurse called my name and directed me into the inner sanctum. Traversing myriad hallways, I landed in an examination room and had my vitals taken.  The nurse helped me with the SAT paperwork and asked that I strip down below my waist and place a johnnie over my lap.

Shortly after Shauneen Valliere, NP entered, announced herself and extended her hand.  I was glad mine was dry. She asked how I was doing and I told her my difficulties with the recovery process.  She indicated that much of my trouble was a result of all the meds, anesthesia, and antibiotics I was given over a short time.  She said, "Although outwardly. it looks like not much has happened, inside that's not the case.  The body needs time to adjust and get back on schedule."

I discussed some of the side effects that have persisted and she seemed a bit perplexed with the pain that I had been having in my back and flank.  She said, "We don't have the most comfortable beds and you're spending so much time (lately) on your back, the pain could be from those.  Other patients had reported that side effects of the statin cause pain the large muscles (like the leg and thigh), but your pain could be something else."  As Dr Schanzer said, and she echoed, "Give it some time.'

Shauneen then looked at the surgical sight and mentioned the bruising.  It had been worse.  She then said she was going to press and to let her know if there was any pain.  She pressed harder and harder as if she was hoping there would be pain, but there was none. She seemed pleased.  She told me that I would be contacted to schedule a 3D ultrasound and CT scan to ensure that 'things landed where they were supposed to', and to check for endo-leaks.  She said early detection was critical.  After a few months, I would need another ultrasound, then yearly monitoring- for the rest of my life. [This was no surprise to me.]

I was given the green light to drive again, encouraged to resume my walking regimen (I had walked more than 6 miles over the last three days).  I asked about resumption of my exercising and she said, "Start slow."  At that, she wished me good luck and said, "You need no paperwork so you are free to go."

I met Leslie and we were on our merry way.  Arriving home I 'drove' to the grocery market and shopped and upon returning took a 4 mile walk in the summer-like weather.

So finally, I'm seeing the improvement that had eluded me.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment