Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Where did the summer go?

Where did the summer go?

Some new developments since my last entry.  My bladder cancer procedure has been moved up to 8/31.  And, yesterday I had my annual check-up with Dr Song at Mass Eye and Ear in Waltham.  

I've been going to Dr Song for a number of years since my chemo therapy (the gift that keeps giving) caused a cataract in my right eye.  About 5 years ago, Dr Song performed laser surgery to remove my cataract so I took that opportunity to have in-ocular lens (IOL) implanted.  After a consult it was decided that the lens would provide better distance vision.  At the time my left eye had a 'slow growing' cataract and the end result was near 20/20 vision. It's referred to as 'mono vision' the brain adjusts and corrects what it sees.
 
Over this last year, I really noticed that my left eye (cataract) was worsening. It seemed like I had vaseline smeared on my eye and my vision was obviously not clear. I don't wear glasses but noticed I needed more light when reading.  In addition I noticed that the TV didn't seem as clear to me.  Luckily my right eye was carrying the vision load and I was still able to function 'normally'.  But as of late, I found myself rubbing my left eye and it seemed to be tearing much more.  So when I had my appointment I was expecting that my next step would be cataract surgery and implanting of an IOL for reading (near sighted).  The doctor did indicate that I had an astigmatism and there might be a chance that I would need reading glasses (or cheaters).  He also indicate that I may need to hold reading material closer than I had been.  But he also said that it might be just fine.

I do recall the 'break in' period of adjustment and dealing with the halo effect that eventually cleared up.  So I'm prepared for the body's adjustment.

So, September will be a busy one health-wise.  Already four appointments booked.  I do recall that the most difficult part was the regimen of eye drops.  Small price to pay for better vision.
 
Post Script:
Had a call from Dr. Song's office.  It sounded like a review of the measurements showed that my astigmatism had changed (?).  They asked if I could come in the next day to be measured again.  I do recall that the doctor said something about a need to re-measure because my eyes were dialated.  I guess that had something to do with it.
 
I arrived a very busy waiting room.  It wasn't too long before I was called.  I sat in front of two machines and the attendant once completing the tests, said that the doctor wanted to talk to me.  Hmmm, sounded ominous.
 
I waited for Doctor Song and once he was free he discussed the new developments. Apparently, for my astigmatism, the lens we discussed would not work.  I had two options: get a lens and a have to wear prescription glasses for reading or, have a Toric lens implanted.  I had a Toric implanted on my other eye.  Unfortunately the Toric was an additional thousand dollars.  I'm worth it and vision is important so I chose to pay the additional amount.  However, the person who takes the money was not in the office.  He indicated that she would call me.  [As of this writing 8/31, I haven't had a call back.  I did call the office today but got a voice mail.  I'm sure they will find me]

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment