Total Pageviews

Friday, August 6, 2021

My mother used to say you have to worry 'just enough'

My mother used to say you have to worry 'just enough'

When my primary care doctor set me up for an ultrasound of my carotid arteries, I was dreading the results.  For the last 10 plus years, I've been taking good care of myself.  I've managed to lose more than 80 pounds (and keep it off); walk 3 to 5 miles a day; eat healthy; and stay clear of 'things' not good for you.  In addition, my cholesterol numbers have always been stellar and (knock on wood) I've not needed to take meds to control it.  (I really hate taking meds, but if I have to...I have to).  So the thoughts of plaque build up and subsequent prescription of a 'statin' made me worry.  My mother always said, 'You have to worry just enough'.  It seems to still hold true.
 
I went in for my ultra-sound and it was very quick.  The technician was frantically taking 'shots' and annotating the slides.  I could hear audible snippets of rushing blood (whoosh whoosh).  At the end, she said, "We are all done.  The doctor will review and send the results to your primary care doctor.  It may take a few days."  Ok then, now the waiting.

In the early afternoon, the phone rang (it's always ringing with robo callers and telemarketers).  I screen all my calls.  I did hear the voice say that it was Dr Rees's office calling.  I quickly picked it up, fearing that this speedy return call was ominous, not the 'few days' I was told.  I was elated to hear her say, "Your test results came back normal".

Hallelujah!  Some good news for a change.

More to come!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment