Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Fears Confirmed

Fears Confirmed

Had my visit with Dr. Hurley in Salem NH this morning.  I was a bit confused as to what was actually going to happen today.  I knew that after reviewing my ultra-sound on my last visit, the Doctor did say that I have bladder cancer.  Today's cystoscopy (I now know) was his way of confirming his previous diagnosis.  I was under the impression that he was going to be scraping away the cancer today.  That was not the case.

Upon my arrival and check-in everyone was masked (I was glad).  Waiting room was arranged so each seat was at least 6 feet from the other.  There were only about 4 people waiting and the room was rather large.  My name was called and I was directed to an examination room through a number of corridors.  Upon entry, two attendants told me to remove my pants and sit covered using a disposable blanket.

Shortly after, Dr. Hurley arrived, shook my hand and asked, "How are things going?" and, "Have you had anymore bleeding?".  I mentioned that I was (relatively) fine and I did have bleeding the previous day, but it was now clearing up.  He did mention that with bleeding comes clots and those clots could obstruct my urine flow and he said, "We don't want that."

He then said that he was going to add some goo then proceeded to gingerly guide the medical instrument up my urethra.  It was quite unpleasant and I didn't want to watch. He did say, "You'll feel a pinch" as he passed my prostate.  Yup, I felt it.  A few moments went by and he said, "Yes my man, you have bladder cancer."  Even though I was resigned to that fact, just hearing it again was disconcerting.  He then said, "We need to get that out.  If we don't, the bleeding will continue and you will eventually have a clot that doesn't pass."  I did mention that once I had a brief obstruction, but the flow forced it out.  I know when that happened, it was distressing, but when it cleared, I did see a huge clot come out.  (I could actually feel it being passed.)

Dr Hurley said that he would schedule the day surgical procedure for next week.  He gave me some towels to clean up and asked that I see his receptionist for scheduling.  He then left.

After cleaning up and dressing, I proceeded to the receptionist, who informed me that the next opening was September 8th.  I had mentioned that I was having cataract surgery the day before and a subsequent post op follow up on the 8th.  She went into inform the doctor.  He came out of his office and said he could schedule something for the afternoon.  I looked at my calendar and saw that my eye doctor appointment was at 9:30 in Waltham, so I estimated that I'd be home by noon. The doctor said, "We'll make it work.  We need to get that out of there."

The receptionist indicated that the day surgery would take place in Andover and she would call me with the time and other information.  She did mention that I would need a ride to and from.

Luckily for me, my little sister said she would give me the ride.  I'm fortunate that she's able to help me out and she's also taking me to my cataract surgery on Tuesday.  Thank you so much Leslie.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment