Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Excess Baggage

Excess Baggage

I was able to get some decent sleep last night.  I was given a much larger urine bag to use at night.  Although the nurse gave me a tutorial, it was very difficult to set up.  Apparently it needs gravity to work better and it has to hang from the bottom of the bed.  Given I'm tall I have no foot board, so I rigged up a guitar stand to hang the bag.  The hose wasn't long enough and very thick, so it was insistent on curling, which would lead to excessive tugging.  So I made an executive decision to keep my 'day baggage' connected and just get up a few times in the night.  Since it's uncomfortable, that did not present a problem. I got up three times.  First time (after 2 hours of sleep), there wasn't much output.  The Velcro straps shifted a bit, so I made the adjustments.  Second time after about 3 hours of sleep, there was more output.  The last time, and when I got up, the bag was completely filled.

I received a voice mail from the doctor's office checking in with me.  I called back and reported on my current state and wondered how long I'd need the bag.  She said she'd contact the doctor to find out.  She asked if there was still blood and clots.  Well because of one of my meds the urine is florescent orange.  I saw no clots, but there was a red tinge.  She said the bag isn't removed until there's no blood.  OY VEY!

Later, after drinking coffee, it was time do maintenance.  I really looked and it definitely was more orange and to me, didn't appear to have blood. Drink plenty of fluids ran through my head.

A short time later, I received a call from the doctor's Salem office saying they would be removing the catheter tomorrow!  YAY!!.  I have an appointment at 8:30 with one of Dr Hurley's associates.  I can't wait.

I do have a slight sore throat and am a bit hoarse from the tubing, but that will clear up.  It's a gorgeous day, so I'm hoping to resume my walking that I could not do yesterday.  First time in years that I missed my walking goal.  I'll take it slow and not push myself, but standing (and moving) appears to have less discomfort than sitting or lying down.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment