Total Pageviews

Friday, October 1, 2021

What now?

What now?

I had my second post-op follow-up with Dr. Song today at Mass Eye & Ear, Waltham.  It was a crisp Autumn day and traffic was moving right along so I arrived right when I had planned.  The parking lot was full, but luckily for me someone was leaving.  So I pulled right in after they left.

Upon entering the waiting room, I noticed it was packed. Interesting, I thought.  After check in, I was told to have a seat, but there was none to be had.  I stood next to the wall, and once again, someone got up.  I quickly scooted into the seat.  As I observed what was going on, it appeared that they were doing lasik  procedures that day and there were a number of younger folks waiting their turn.  Each was with a parent.  I saw two doctors churning out the patients.  Each stopped by and explained to the parent, what was going to happen and how long it would take. So this explained the full parking lot.

I was finally called and the technician gave me the first eye test.  Upon completing that, I was asked to follow, Dianna to an examination room.  I once again had a barrage of eye tests.  I had mentioned that it was very busy.  She said that they were having surgeries today, but not for cataracts, as I had.  Those were performed at a surgical site.  Dianna completed her test and I was instructed to wait until the doctor was ready to see me.  By this time the waiting room had mostly cleared out. Not long after I was called.

I was brought to an examination room and told Dr. Song would be with me shortly.  It wasn't long before he showed up.  After exchanging pleasantries and asking how I was doing, he reviewed my test results and said he wanted to perform some additional tests.  He gave me more drops and arranged his machine to examine my eyes.  He did say the my left eye (one that had the recent surgery) was doing OK, but my right eye had a high reading for pressure.  "My right?", I said.  He said yes. What now? I thought.

He explained that my corneas are very thin and pressure was building up in my right eye, but my left eye was fine.  He once again looked into my eyes with his light and exclaimed that the 'drainage structures' appeared fine.  He said at this time there was nothing to worry about, but he wanted to monitor it.  He added that this pressure, if not corrected (either on it's own or with drops) could lead to glaucoma and in the worst case scenario, loss of vision.  [Lovely].

I asked if it's anything I did, or diet, or whatever?  I did have something salty the other day.  He chuckled and said, it has nothing to do with high blood pressure.  He said he wanted me to finish my drops (a few more days) and he will see in a few months.  He gave me paperwork and wished me a good day.

At check out, I was given a January 2022 appointment.  I sure hope the weather cooperates.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment