Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Consultation on Treatment

Consultation with Dr. Hurley

It's the end of February and it's supposed to get up to 70 degrees today, then the forecast for Friday is a foot of snow.  New England weather:  If you don't like it, wait a minute.

I had my consultation with Dr. Hurley first thing this morning at his Salem, NH office.  I hadn't slept well last night in anticipation of today.  But traffic was moving along today and I made it there at the desired time.  After check in, I didn't have to wait long to be called in.  I was directed to exam room 22. 

[22 is one of my numbers.  It would have been more effective if it were yesterday 2.22.22]

I hardly had time to settle when Dr. Hurley arrived.  He was quite chipper and was genuinely concerned for my situation.  He was reading some notes from Dr. Ingham and was happy to see that Dr. Ingham indicated that he, (Dr. Hurley) had done a good job at scraping away the cancer during my October procedure with him.

The doctor once again explained in layman's terms what was happening in my bladder and why he really wanted another opinion.  He said that the normal course of action was to remove the bladder, but Dr. Ingham's assessment validated his assertion that other options could be pursued. So he asked me how I wanted to proceed.  Of course, I don't want my bladder removed and it was recommended that I try the BCG treatment. So I indicated BCG treatment is the direction I wanted to go.  Dr. Hurley added, "I would do the BCG if it were me."  I guess he needed my approval to proceed, but to me it's a no-brainer versus the removal of my bladder.

Dr Hurley excused himself to instruct his staff to 'find' a supply.  As Dr. Ingham had mentioned, there is a global shortage.  Dr. Hurley said there were a few sources he could try and once obtained he would call me so I can start my 6 week treatment.  So at this time I'm hoping that the BCG can be found and enough is available for me to start. The waiting is the hardest part.  (Tom Petty reference).

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment