Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Some Odds And Ends and Other Updates

BGC

Since my last post, I'm still in a holding pattern for the BGC.  I did send a message through my patient portal and was informed that it's still back ordered and the office will contact me when it's in.  So I continue to wait.

Mammorgram and Follow-up

On March 3rd, I had my annual mammogram at Holy Family in Methuen.  Pretty routine,  although this time I did not have Dr Moore to give me a thumbs up after his review.  However, I did receive a letter from the Breast Cancer Care Unit of the Hospital indicating that the mammogram was clean - no cancer found.  YAY!

I had my 6 month check up with my oncologist, Dr. Mehta at Dana Farber in Methuen . I was the first appointment of the day so I was called in for my vitals even before I completed my SATs.  According to my visit summary, it appears that I lost another half inch in height.  That darned gravity gets us all eventually.  That just means that my body mass index needs to be recalculated.  I was at ideal weight, so I'm probably just shy of over weight now.  [Can't win].

Dr Metha said it looked like I lost weight.  But we haven't seen each other in person for two years, so since then I have.  Unlike many who gained covid weight, I lost it.  (Eating my own cooking) LOL.

The doctor reiterated that the mammogram was clean.  After he 'felt me up', he said he found nothing (lumps).  Also good news.  We were discussing other health issues and I reported that I had bladder cancer.  He seemed somewhat disturbed by this.  And asked if I had been exposed to chemicals or dyes, to which I said I worked in an office environment for 30 years.  He did say that chemo can sometimes cause that, and seemed saddened that it might be that.  He asked about smoking.  I did say that 'back in the day' when people smoked inside, I played in clubs for 5-6 nights a week with second hand smoke.  He asked, "For how long?"  I said for 10 years.  He then said, 'That's your exposure.  Second hand smoke".  He inquired which doctor I was seeing.  When I said Dr Hurley, he said, "Oh my buddy".  He said that BCG is definitely the route to follow.  Dr Metha did add that if BCG is not successful, to contact him because there are other options.  It's always good to have options.

Dr. Mehta said he'd see me in 6 months and said he'd initiate genealogy counseling.  Just another method to determine if cancer is genetic or due to environment.  So we'll see.

As I wait for BGC there will be more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment