Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2022

Annual Check-up At U Mass Memorial

 Although I'm liking the extra sunlight we've gained as a result of the time change, my body has a difficult time adjusting to the new schedule.  This and the fact that I had to fast since midnight (no coffee) and having to get up early to drive to Worcester, Pi Day (3.14) has been rough!

Traffic to Worcester was not a problem and finding parking was a piece of cake although I was confused and made a turn to a lower level.  I can use the exercise.

I meandered to the 3rd floor and was checked in immediately.  I didn't have to wait too long to be called. I was instructed to follow the medical professional to the vascular lab, where I would be having my annual ultrasound on my endo-vascular repair (stint in my abdominal aorta).  I was asked if a trainee could observe.  Of course I agreed.  I said that I may learn something from the 'show and tell' chatter.

The ultra sound was uneventful, and I didn't learn anything new from their chatter.  I'm happy that there were no audible gasps or 'wait a minute come look at this' moments.  I was discharged and instructed to return to the waiting area.  As soon as I returned, I was called immediately.  Wanda asked if it was alright if a trainee observed.  Of course, I agreed.

I was weighed and the observer came in handy and offered to hold my 'lead bricks' prior to my weighing.  I guess the new rule is: shoes must be kept on.  So with my lead boots, I stepped onto the scale.  Surprisingly it was only two pounds more than my home scale reading. Of course gravity is winning the game of reducing my height.  It seems that my license says 6'4", but the reality is 6'2 and 3/4.  Well that throws my BMI off.  Oh well.  I had my vitals taken.  Pressure was good, but pulse was low (44).  Generally it's around 66-71, but she though that I must be really relaxed.  She might be on to something.  I had just had a belly massage although I was not purring or wagging a tail.  She took the reading twice (on different hands)...same reading (purr).  Wanda went over my meds list and updated a few things.  She then said that the doctor would be in shortly.

In less than a minute, I heard a knock and Dr. (someone) came in.  [Masks make hearing things difficult when you can't see the lips].  Dr. Someone was an assistant to Dr. Schanzer (it's been normal to have two doctors see me).  He asked me about my condition and any changes since my last visit.  I had explained that I have bladder cancer, had 2 cystoscopies and am waiting for my treatment of BCG.  I also told him that my MRI indicated an enlarged aorta above the heart. We chatted for a bit and he examined blood flow in my femur arteries and manually checked my pulse on both wrists.  He said, "Everything seems fine.  Dr. Schanzer will be with you shortly."

It was merely minutes before Dr. Schanzer and Dr. Someone entered the examination room.  Dr. Schanzer said the results of my ultrasound were very good: stint hadn't moved; blood flow is good; no endo leaks and the sac has been reduced from 4 cm to 3.4 cm.  That was great news.  He indicated that next time I will have a CAT scan instead of the ultrasound so he can 'see' what's going on above the heart.  But he added, that AAA is not a concern.  He'll see me next year and he offered support for my battle with bladder cancer.  He hopes that the BCG will be available soon for me.

I check out and paid for parking (just 3 bucks today).  I was in and out in a bit more than an hour.

All in all a good day!  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment