Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Round Two

My appointment today for BCG round two was at 9AM.  Given the highway traffic last week , I decided to take some back roads.  Big mistake, I forgot to take in consideration that schools are open and there are too many buses.  Seems every intersection was another bus stop.  Even subverting the jam by taking secondary routes proved futile.  Others seemed to have the same idea and of course everyone was in a rush and no one would give you a break and let you into the traffic flow.  I left the house at 8:30 and I was still dealing with downtown traffic at 8:45.  Just when I thought that it would be smooth sailing, I encountered construction and one lane traffic at the former Western Electric on Osgood St.  Of course I hit every single red light.  But, I did manage to eek into a spot at the urologist at 8:58.

I entered the lobby and an attendant motioned to me to come over.  After finding my file and going through the Covid protocols, I was told that my co-pay today would be $30 because I had a $20 credit.  Still not sure what's up with that, but whatever.  I was given a specimen jar and told to provide a urine sample and return to the waiting room.  After that task was completed, I was called in to the examination room.  The medical professional quizzed me on some personal information, that I aced again.  I was brought to an examination room and told to drop my pants and sit on the exam table until Michael arrived. They provide a diaper to sit on and an extremely large paper towel to 'cover my privates'.

Michael arrived.  He was my Nurse Practitioner from last time.  I told him I had a few questions before we started so I wouldn't be distracted and forget to ask.  I then asked if and when I could get my Covid booster and also wanted clarification on how many treatments I will be receiving.  Dr Previte had told me I would have 6, but I've only been scheduled for three. Michael said that he would have to check on the answers to both questions.  He then proceed to set the exam table up and prepare the BCG treatment. Same discomfort with the catheter and strange sensations with the BCG syringed into my bladder.  But it was quick.  He said, "OK, you can get dressed and I'll be back with answers".

Got dressed and waited, the first attendant arrived and was startled with my still being there.  She said, "Hasn't Michael seen you yet?"  I said, "Yes. He was getting some information for me".  She left.  A few minutes later. Michael arrived and said his schedule showed me scheduled for next week, then it showed I needed to provide a urine sample on the 17 of October and then my cystoscopy/biopsy on October 25.  He said that the Covid booster could be given a week after my next treatment. [See more on this below]  I said, "Thanks, I'll see you next week".

Got home and began my two hour marination.  My goal was to make the whole 2 hours. The first hour was fine.  I even found a comfortable position for the portion requiring that I lay on my front side.  After the hour and half mark, it began to get uncomfortable.  I tried to wait out the urge to see if it would pass.  It did, but it wasn't long before the discomfort came back.  My phone rang and I could hear the voice.  It was Michael.  I answered the phone as I lay on my stomach.  Michael said he had an update but asked if my bladder was full.  I mentioned that I had one more turn to go and hoped to make the whole two hours.  He chuckled and said he talked to Dr Previte.  I was correct in my understanding that he wanted 6 rounds of BCG, however the scheduler only booked three.  Michael said that he will contact Anna and get three more sessions scheduled.  (I hope they are on Wednesdays)  However, the surgery schedule for October 25th will need to be moved out since the doctor wants some 'healing time' before the biopsy.  He said it looks like it might be November 22nd, but Sandy (surgery scheduler) will be in touch with me to confirm.  He also mentioned that I would have to wait a week from my last treatment before I could get the Covid booster.  So it's looking like November 16th right now for that.

By this time, the timer rang for my last position. But after 5 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I did better than last week, but 10 minutes shy of my goal.  I 'voided' (like a racehorse again).  Now I wait for any side effects to kick in.

More to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment