Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A 'Two-fer' Today

One

I had my first of three maintenance doses of BCG at Northeast Urological in N. Andover.  

It was a bright, but chilly May day with light traffic.  I made good time getting to the appointment and after checking in and providing a urine specimen, I was met outside the restroom by a medical professional who called my name, grilled me for my vitals and asked me to follow her. 

Visiting yet another examination room, I was told to drop trow and wait.  Not too long later Torri (NP) and Morgan (trainee) arrived.  After exchanging pleasantries and verifying who I am and why I was there, Torri began to prepare her implements. She took time to explain a few things to Morgan and then I felt the tube go in and my bladder empty whatever I didn't get out.  Once again, I felt that unmistakable warm feeling as some urine decided to run down the uglies.  There was some chatter of jargon and Torri announced that we were all done.  She collected her laptop and other items and said, "Until next week."

Got home and did my two hours of marination.  Got ready for my appointment with Doctor Mehta.

Two

 
Not knowing what traffic would be like mid-day, I gave myself extra time to arrive at Dana Farber, Methuen. This site still requires masks and covid screenings.  I got up to the 3rd floor and after check in, was provided with SATs to complete.  I just sat down and was immediately called in for blood work.  The phlebotomist was very pleasant, but I think I scared her with my tales of multiple jabbings and very little blood.  She then told me she was still in training.  She called her 'trainer', who looked at my veins and said that taking the blood from my hand was the best option.  Although not my favorite area, at least she sized up the situation without torturing me.  The phlebotomist successfully drew the right amount of blood, with just one jab.  Yay!  I was instructed to return to the waiting room where I completed my SATs.

Not long after, my name was called and I was directed to follow her to an examination room.  Luckily for me Dr. Mehta was already there, so there was no waiting.  I gave him my SATs.  He looked at my electronic record and said, "The blood work is good and everything else looks excellent."  I mentioned that I had a cystoscopy in April and the results were good.  It appears that the BGC was working.  I added that I had by first round of BCG today.  Two more to go over the next two weeks.

He seemed pleased and said there's nothing he can offer me right now, but wished to see me in 6 months.  Of course if things change, notify his office.  He also mentioned, "There are a number of trials in progress and they are showing some positive results.  So there are a few things in the pipeline."

My next appointment is the day before Thanksgiving.

More To Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment