Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

THIS doesn't sound like fun

Warning:  If you get grossed out by knowing how the sausage is made, you may want to skip a portion of this blog.  I'll alert you when you can exercise your skip-ahead option.

I had my pre-op appointment with Dr. Chatson today to discuss the details of my two-part reconstruction surgery.  I was the first patient of the day so there was no wait.  The medical professional (Physician's Assistant), took my vitals and began providing a reader's digest version of what to expect for the first surgery.  As the words I heard became mental images, I'm sure some of what I was hearing caused my blood pressure reading to be higher than normal.

[I'm also pretty sure that the 45 minutes it took to drive 10 miles - commute was also a factor.  I'm out of practice for driving during the morning 'rush' albeit, local.]

Confessing that she should have refrained from the preview of coming attractions until the doctor arrived (or at least until she finished her readings), I was told that Dr. Chatson would be right in.

As promised, Dr. Chatson was right in.  [Almost as if he had been waiting for his cue.] He told me that the insurance company confirmed that this procedure was covered.  He showed me that special 'pass go' authorization number that's treated like gold.  So I was told, in a month's time, I'm expected to arrive at Holy Family, at the crack of dawn mind you, for my day-surgery.  I will need to have fasted from the previous night and I am not allowed to drive myself home.  I've secured my ride to, and from for that day.

[Skip-ahead option here if you are squeamish] 

The first surgery will consist of many moving parts:

- Reduction of my (healthy) right breast. This entails removal of some skin around the aureole and  liposuction of 'fatty' areas extending toward the arm pit. Depending on the end result (concavity), a fat graft will be performed to create a 'standard-looking' male breast.
- Re-opening the surgical area of my mastectomy to remove scarring tissue and prepare for 'doctor-created' faux nipple. The actual setting of the nipple will be performed during the second surgery after the healing period of about 3-4 weeks.  Depending...
- Liposuction of the 'fatty' areas around the mastectomy area extending toward the armpit (to create symmetry).
- Incision of my tummy area (similar to a tummy tuck) for the harvesting of fat for the graft and skin for the new aureole and nipple. [Not certain if this is just to identify the area for harvesting of if the skin is removed at this time. While explaining this, the doctor said that 'the course of things sometimes change once we get in there.']

[Resume reading here]

After the conclusion of my first surgery, I was informed that I will most likely have a drain. [GRRRR].  I'll also have to wear a compression vest.  From the description, this zippered device is worn (for some time) to assist with the healing.  

[I had visions of tin foil holding together a burrito to make it rounded and easier to consume.]  

I'm not allowed to bathe until the drain is removed. [Been there. Done that. Not a fan.] I will have a few follow-ups (a week apart).  I was concerned with Thanksgiving.  He said that he was seeing patients the day before, in the morning.

Although all the above is necessary,  I'm certainly not looking forward to it.  I was given a script for pain meds (which I hate and hope I can do without). However, unlike my mastectomy (and subsequent surgery), this procedure will affect more geography on my body. Especially areas that 'move' (like the waist).  Ya, this ain't gonna be fun.

Until the time comes, I'm enjoying having better days health-wise and getting back to generally feeling good.   I truly hope that Mother Nature cooperates and holds off on the white stuff until much later in the season (but nothing like last year - please).

Thanks for reading and of course, your support!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment