Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

And the beat goes on....

La dee dah dee dee; la dee dah dee dah

Had our first 'shovel-able' snow yesterday.  Was supposed to be a dusting then turn to rain.  Wrong!  How about 3+ inches of heavy wet snow?  It is what it is - or was, for that matter.

Today I had my 6 month check-up with Dr. Mehta at Dana Farber, Methuen.  After check-in and vitals check, I was greeted by a smiling Dr. Mehta.  Right away he got to business asking me how I was doing and how my side effects were progressing.

I told him that the neuropathy of my feet appeared to be getting 'worse' on my left foot. So much so that I was not walking correctly and may have injured my heel (somehow).  Since this had just happened a few days ago, I've been refraining from my daily walks.  As a result, my muscle spasms have increased.  The odd neuropathy in my finger thumb continues to exhibit a cycle on its own [that I'm trying to figure out - with no luck.]

Dr. Mehta said, "The neuropathy is a result of the chemo and not a side effect of Tamoxifen (which was not my understanding)."  He continued, "Tamoxifen does not 'go after' new cells like the chemo.  It goes after a specific type of receptor cell.  In your case, the estrogen receptor."  He asked if I had seen a neurologist.  To which I answered, no.  He then indicated that he would refer me to Dr. Ross.

Dr. Mehta asked that I remove my shirt(s) so he could examine me.  Upon completion of my partial disrobe, he said, "Wow, he did a great job on the reconstruction.  It looks completely normal."  That was nice to hear especially since I have an appointment with Dr. Chatson tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping he has the same reaction.

As Dr. Mehta was examining me and feeling for 'lumps', I had mentioned that I had seen Dr. Moore last week and requested that I have a mammogram (also scheduled for tomorrow).  I told him Dr. Moore performed a similar exam and said he found nothing unusual.  Dr. Mehta then said, "I'm going to say the same thing."  He then asked about any other side effects specifically hot flashes.  I admitted that I have had few episodes but they were few and far between.  He said that if they become too numerous, I could take ginseng. [Interesting.]

He said that he would see me in six months and he would also refer me to Dr. Ross.  I re-dressed and proceeded to check out.  While I was checking out the healthcare associate was on the phone with Dr. Ross's office registering me as a new patient.  Shortly after she asked if February 2nd was OK.  I said, yes.

So the beat goes on.   More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment