Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2015

One week check-up with Dr. Mehta

Arrived today for my appointment at Dana Farber, Methuen.  Clearly I'm becoming a regular.  I'm even becoming familiar with other patients' comings and goings.  At the reception/check-in all I needed to say was I was here for my appointment with Dr. Mehta.  She didn't even ask my name, but did ask my date of birth and a few other security questions.  My wrist bracelet was pre-printed and was soon on my wrist.  I had mentioned that I needed labs and was told that I would be called shortly for my blood drawer.

I hadn't waited too long when a nurse (Connie) called for Richard P.  [Not just Richard?  Maybe there were more than one Richard in the waiting room.]

Connie walked me to an adjacent room where she said, "Oh, I took your blood last week." And before I knew it the pinch and blood draw was done.  Back to the waiting room.

About ten minutes later another nurse called out Richard and both myself and the guy next to me sat at attention.  The nurse then said Richard P.  [Two Richards confirmed.]  I followed her to the examination room and had a weighed in.  I was back to my 'normal' weight having lost that 10 pounds of water retention due to the prednisone. Temp and blood pressure were good too.  "Dr. Mehta is finishing up with another patient and will be with you shortly."  No problem, I'll wait, I said.

Almost 15 minutes later, Dr Mehta arrived and asked, "How are things going?"  I said, "On the plus side, I had no symptoms of nausea or vomiting.  Had an appetite, was regular, and was sleeping alright."  However, I did mention that I have been getting easily fatigued.  Regular activities could wipe me out for the day leading me to sitting and resting in my chair.  I had tried to determine my limits, but often found that it was too much.  Some days were better than others too.

I had mentioned that I re-read the possible side effects/symptoms and had experienced a numbness in my thumb and forefinger of my left hand.  In addition, the balls of my feet felt numb and tingly. Nothing that would limit my walking or standing and not to the point of any pain, but I was concerned.  I had also experienced some tightness in my chest last weekend, but that had passed after I was able to belch (from drinking a ginger-ale). I was also experiencing 'charlie horses' in both my calves mostly when I was sleeping. And finally told him of a strange nagging pain on my left side near my large intestine.

Dr. Mehta said that neuropathy is symmetric and he has never heard of it manifesting on one side.  He mentioned again that the chemo is cumulative and he didn't expect any of those types of side effects during this initial dose.  He also added that he didn't expect them at all. [Sure hope he's right.]

As for the nagging pain or the 'charlie horse' he didn't seem too concerned.  He said the blood test didn't show a decrease in potassium, but advised that I eat bananas.

He said that my blood test result came back 'normal levels'.  So I said, "Then I've reached Nadir already?"  Dr. Mehta said, "the dosage was the correct amount for your body to fight."  So I asked, "My fatigue is a result of my body fighting the chemo and creating white and red blood cells and platelets?"  He said, "most likely."

He listened to my breathing, heart beat and looked into my mouth.  He did notice a little rush in my throat which he instructed me to gargle with warm water and baking soda.

He then told me that I should be ready for my next chemo on July 2.  He wants my labs done on the first of July so the results can be used to determine the next dose. "Happy 4th of July to me," I said.  Dr Mehta said I should be fine and go on to enjoy living.  [Good advice]

Remembering one thing, I said, "Speaking of chemo.  I noticed that the vein used for the last dose was a bit red and sore to the touch."  He asked if there was any spillage.  I said no.  He looked and pressed the area (a little uncomfortable), but said, "That's healed." [OK.  I hope in two weeks it will look and feel even better.]

So this 62 year old body is a fighter.  I'm hopeful to regain strength and stamina going forward.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment