Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

End of round three and round four is just days away

I've been enjoying my 'good days' (some better than others, but compared to the 'bad days', no complaints).

I had my follow-up visit with my primary care provider last Friday.  I thought I was having a blood test and according to instructions, I had fasted for 14 hours.  [Why is it when you have to fast, you get hankerings for snacks in those wee hours of the morning?  I resisted the temptation and soldiered on.]

The morning of my appointment I had to skip my morning coffee.  Coffee drinkers can empathize and know how 'out of it' a lack of caffeine can cause.  Dr.  Rees was happy with my vitals and overall progress in my treatments.  I had asked where his lab was?  They used to be adjacent to his reception desk.  He said they are on the first floor now.  I added, that I had been fasting and was ready for my blood test. Quizzically, he looked through my electronic folder and said, "You don't need a blood test until February."  Looking at my print-out, I could see that I wrote 'fast for 14 hours', but then noticed it was next to the February appointment. [Chemo brain?]  Dr. Rees said he'll see me then and wished me continued luck on my treatments and upcoming surgeries (and whatever the Triple A results require).  I went to Starbucks and got a venti (large) dark roast - black.  Within minutes, the fog began to lift.

The weather continued to cooperate and I decided to undertake little projects here and there.  I was even drawn to playing music (guitar) again and hoped that playing would bring better sensation to my thumb and forefinger.  Unfortunately, I had not played for a month and my stamina was not up to speed, not to mention my chops.  Determined to 'get the rust out' I worked on some intricate fingering and picking exercises which seemed to help a lot.  However, after today's session I stopped and noticed that I had developed a blood blister on my ring finger.  Not good.  Torn calluses are to be expected but a blister is bad news.  There's nothing I can do but wait until it heals.  This means that it will most likely be another month before I'm wanting to play again. It is what it is.  I'll just switch to playing my keyboard.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with Sandra Creamer, Nurse Practitioner.  Dr. Mehta is on vacation so Sandra will make the call on my continuing to chemo # 4.  Barring abnormal blood test results, I don't anticipate any delay and am planning on (and mentally preparing for) my last round of poisons.

Thanks to ALL for your continued support and encouragement!

More to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment