Total Pageviews

Monday, March 20, 2023

Equinox

Spring has sprung, although it started out quite chilly, the strong March sun quickly brought the temperature up to the low 50's.  Seems hard to believe, that last week we had a Nor'Easter that dumped a heavy wet blanket of snow.  These parts saw about 5 inches +, but you didn't have to travel far to find 'feet' of snow.  But as of today, there is little left, just some mounds of dirty snow.

I had my annual AAA check up with Dr Schanzer at UMass Medical in Worcester. More than a year ago I had an MRI and the technicians indicated that I had an enlarged aorta above the heart.  Dr Schanzer ordered a CT Scan to be performed today.

The scan takes place in the main building.  Having been there before, I knew the location.  They had electronic self serve check-in (so for me it was a breeze).  There were many struggling with the technology, but there were roving helpers assisting those having difficulty. 

I arrived at radiology and had another quick check-in, but since I had already e-checked in last evening from home, the attendant said that I was all set and have a seat.

It didn't take long until the radiology tech called my name and had me follow him to the machine.  He was quite personable.  (I didn't catch his name). He had me lay on the slab, covered me with a blanket and instructed me to pull down my pants to my knees.  He started un-buttoning my sleeve and I stated that many don't have luck with my veins.  But he seemed adamant in using my left arm since it was close to the IV (for contrast).  He was awesome.  No pain and hit the payload in one try.  I told him he got a gold star.  Amazing how some know what they are doing and others know how to torture.

He then told me that we would start and when the recording would tell me to take and hold my breath, just take normal breaths.  I can handle that.  We took a few rounds of pictures without contrast then said I would feel oddly warm and flushed when the contrast is induced.  He was right.  Reminded me of the hot flashes I had during my Tamoxifen travels.  Before you knew it, I was done.  He told me to get dressed and have a great day and pointed to the exit.

I had a few minutes, but the line at the Dunkins was quite long.  So I meandered across the street to Ambulatory Care for my follow up.  They had a Starbucks there, but they also had quite a long line, so I took the elevator to 3 and walked to vascular surgery.

Check in was easy because I did the e-check in from home.  The attendant was pleased.  I sat and waited to be called.  Just a few minutes passed when I heard my name.  The medical professional mentioned her name, but with the mask, I didn't catch it.  She did have a bit of an accent.  I followed her and she pointed out the exam room I'd be using.  Weighed me and took my vitals.  She said the doctor will be with you shortly.

Not long after, the Nurse Practitioner, Devon arrived.  I recall seeing her last year and she mentioned she remembered me.  She also mentioned that Dr Schanzer was reviewing the scan and would be right in, but also said she saw the scan results and the graft hadn't moved and the aorta (above the heart) was normal.  She also said the the endo-sac continues to shrink.  All good news to me.  She instructed me to don the johnnie and wait for the doctor.

Dr Schanzer arrived and after exchanging pleasantries, he reiterated what the NP told me.  Yes.  Good news for a change.  He said he'd see me next year, but since the false aorta enlargement is no longer a factor, I'd be having an ultrasound (as I normally would have).

Next On The List

On Wednesday, I have a follow up with Dr Song to determine if the eye drops are working to reduce the pressure in my right eye.  If so, he mentioned that he'd take me off timolol (for that eye) and have me come back for a follow-up.

On Thursday, I'm having a colonoscopy.  I was supposed to have one in March of 2020, but they suspended all routine exams due to the pandemic.  I hope my good luck continues.  However, in the past I had received information about the dreaded colonoscopy prep.  I had sent a message through my portal and got a response that instructions were in my surgical procedure instructions.  Well, that did not exist.  I called the number listed and spoke with Carla who determined I was correct, but didn't know why.  She was able to access the instructions, but indicated that I wouldn't get it in time if mailed, also she couldn't send to me via e-mail (HIPAA laws), but she said she could print out and I could pick them up.  Having just driven nearly 250 miles, I wasn't thrilled to go out again.  I figured it would take me a few minutes to go to Holy Family, Haverhill.....but no....she was in Methuen.  OY VEY!

I drove to Holy Family Methuen and picked up the instructions.  I read them in the lobby, in case I had any questions.  On the way home I bought $33 dollars worth of stuff that makes you wanna go #2...a lot.  So all that fun starts Wednesday when I have a day of fasting, then begin using the concoction starting at 4PM.  Yes the colonoscopy itself is nothing, but the prep is hell.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment