Total Pageviews

Monday, November 30, 2015

6 month follow-up with Dr. Moore

Clearly it was 'back to work' for those doing their 9 to 5 today.  The parking lot for Dr. Moore's office was packed.  There were a few cars circling for free spots.  I made one trip through and was lucky enough to snag a spot, but it was on the far end.  I can use the exercise.

It's hard to believe that my mastectomy (part two) was six months ago. When I made this appointment in May, it seemed so far away.  Little did I know I would be having a quite interesting medical journey since that time.  I was also questioning the relevance of this appointment since I was fresh from reconstructive surgery and the surgery performed by Dr. Moore was altered. How could he comment on my recuperation?  I decided to keep the appointment anyway.

At the check in, it was a typical Monday with the 'system' not cooperating.  Apparently in preparation for some Obamacare changes, there is a new coding system, but not all the bugs have been worked out.  What would normally take 5 minutes, took a half hour.  Even after that they had to 'fudge' the system to accept payment.  I was told to, "Hold on to that receipt".  [Hmmm, I see myself talking to a 'representative' of the billing department sometime in my near future.]

I was called into the examination room and Dr. Moore joined me almost immediately.  He asked how I was doing.  I bought him up to speed with what transpired since we last met.  He did mention that he had conversations with both doctors, Mehta and Chatson.  So he was more up to speed that I thought.  I had mentioned that I thought this appointment didn't make sense given my recent reconstruction.  He agreed, but said he wanted to take a look anyway.

I removed my shirt and undershirt and he had me lie on the examination table.  I thought it was funny when he started examining my right breast.  I had to remind him that he worked on the left. [Granted he sees many patients and it's probably hard to recall which side for each.  But, I took this as validation that the reconstruction is coming along.]

Dr.  Moore examined my lymph nodes/arm pit for lumps and said, "There are none."  I had mentioned that I was concerned with a portion of my left breast (where the liposuction was performed).  To me, it felt like a large mass.  He assured me that it was normal swelling and possibly some fluid.  "I'm not concerned with it.  It's normal", he said.  Hearing that made this appointment valuable.

He said, "I prefer to stagger some of these appointments.  Since you are having a six month with Dr. Mehta in June, I want to see you next year. We can talk about our Thanksgiving."

So it's Dr. Moore on the Monday following Thanksgiving.  I'm sure this time will also fly by.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment