Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Follow-up with Dr. Chatson

Had to deal with a lovely commute for an early appointment with Dr. Chatson.  Even with back roads it still took me 45 minutes to go 10 miles.  I'm certainly not missing my 2 - 3 hour commutes to Boston.

Since my surgery Monday, I've been encased in a compression vest.  I once again had the drain, although this time there was no drama.  I feel sore but mostly tired. It seems that I can't get more than 2 hours of sleep without waking from discomfort (back and neck).  I sooo want to be able to turn onto my side and just stretch things.  Well it's not in the cards yet.  This morning I was waking up every 15 to 20 minutes.  I decided to get up at 3 AM and sit in a chair.  I think I slept for a few hours, but there is a cost - my arms and/or leg fall asleep. [Pins and needles - hate it]

I was able to address the areas of velcro on the compression vest that felt like they are digging into me by strategically placing folded tissue.  Not the best solution, but it definitely helped.

Upon my arrival at Dr. Chatson's office I was greeted by the physician's assistant who took me into the examination room right away.  Once seated on the examination table, the compression vest came off and she began removing the dressing.  Because the output of my drain had diminished to less than 10 cc's a day, she decided to take it out.  The removal wasn't half as bad as the last time.  She indicated that I was given a smaller drain and it hadn't been in too long.  Whatever the explanation it was gone!  She told me that the doctor would be right in.

Dr. Chatson came in shortly after.  He looked at the areas and said he was pleased with the results. He asked that I wait another day before showering and try to wear the vest until Monday.  There was no need for new dressings and he indicated that the sutures would be removed next Wednesday. He did say that I should continue to 'take it easy' and don't do anything strenuous, he gave an example, raking leaves.

When I got home I took a look at the 'work' and could see the potential (once healed).  I decided to put on a tee shirt before zipping into the compression vest.  Now no need for tissues.

So far I've only had to take one pain pill.  I'm happy to report that my 'regularity' has returned. Now if I can get some 'good' sleep I'll be even happier.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment