Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Day of Surgery

Well I made it through surgery.


I was the first to arrive at Holy Family at the day surgery unit, and when I say first, I was but there were no staff.  Why they told me to get there at 6 and not be called until 7:10 is beyond me [but par for the course].

When called into the unit, I was greeted by Carmilla who led the way to my 'home base'.  I'm thankful that someone was paying attention to details, because the bed was ready and the extender (to accommodate my height), was in place. I was instructed to strip down and don the lovely johnnie laid out on the bed. After completing that task, there was a steady stream of health professionals and doctors stopping by to review/update my chart.  Their motus operandi was fairly consistent . Each asked me to verify my credentials then followed up by asking pretty much the same line of questions.  [ I guess I passed, since all my answers where consistent.  At one point there was a general feeling that I was staying overnight.  There may have been some confusion as to what was actually going to be done to me today.  Someone interrupted one of the many visits and proclaimed (in their hospital/medical speak) that I was having breast construction, breast reduction and fat grafting.  I heard a collective sigh of 'oh, now we know'.  I guess it all started when I was asked, what I'm in for today?  My answer didn't jibe with their cheat sheets, so had to acknowledge (not trust) and verify. I'm was relieved to know everyone was on the same page (no pun intended).

During this in and out period, they managed to do an EKG and check my vitals a number of times. Getting closer to the time for my procedure, Nurse Tammy stopped by to insert my sent for the IV. Since my left arm was christened with a pink wrist band that read, "Restricted Extremity", Tammy was forced to use my right.  My four sessions of chemo had done a number on my veins and she was searching for a 'good' one.  It looked like the only one that could be used was near my wrist on the upper side of my hand.  Not having lots of tissue in the area, she asked my permission to use it, which I granted.  I asked what she would do if I declined.  "I'd have to use your foot", she said.  I said, "Go right a head and use the hand.  Yes it was a bit more painful, but a necessity.

Not too long after, Dr. Chatson arrived and after an exchange of pleasantries, he said, "So this is your day."  He reviewed what he was planing on doing for this surgery (first of two) then asked me to stand so he could visually inspect the areas and place marks on me using a sharpie.  I got re-dressed and was just getting into bed, when explained that we had to fit the compression vest.  Apologetically, he asked me to stand again.  The vest is one size fits most and has many panels of velcro (thus making it a universal piece).  It was tight, but that was to be expected.  He adjusted in certain places and had the nurse help him remove it. It will be placed on me just prior to my leaving that afternoon.

Dr. Chatson said, "I'll see you in there", smiled and left.  Shortly after, a few nurses and the anesthesiologist arrived to wheel me in.  After being moved to the operating table it seemed like minutes before I was asked to breath deeply - I was out.

I vaguely remember hearing someone calling my name and asking how I was doing.  Still groggy, I was in a degree of pain and asked for pain meds.  Those started working but the pain was still kind of high.  The nurse gave me more, then I was comfortably numb - and tired.  Every time I'd just sink into a deep slumber the low oxygen  level alarm would sound.  Each time this happened, my tubes were checked/arranged and finally they placed a 'reader' to my forehead.  I tried dozing off, but the alarm was persistent.  So I decided to concentrate on my waking up and becoming lucid.

Eventually I was wheeled back to my home base. I was offered crackers and fluids, which I nibbled on.  The pain as this point seemed to be more of an aggravation that pain - the meds were working.
A call was placed to my transportation and the vest was brought out.  All signs that I'm, going home.
The vest was snug, but I was able to tolerate it. I was able to dress then visit the facilities then I received notice that my ride was there.  After hoping into a wheel chair I was officially discharged at the curb.

Still groggy and loopy, I was looking forward to sitting in my favorite chair and recuperate.  The compression vest was beginning to feel uncomfortable in certain areas (but not the surgical areas). I have that lovely drain which I need to empty and record output three times daily.  Just from the time I got home until bedtime, I had 50cc (total) of bloodied fluid. While draining, I was able to 'poke around' to determine that the source of my vest discomfort was the velcro potions touching my skin.  I managed to place some tissues near the aggravated spots, which helped somewhat. [I now have a better appreciation for woman who have to deal with uncomfortable bras.]

Last night I mostly channel surfed and watched the Voice (that I had to rewind a few times because I dozed off].  I was able to have a light supper and ended up going to bed around 11.  Sleeping was tough.  I can't turn or lie on either side, so I could only have 2 hours of sleep before having to wake up.  I did finally take a half pill of the pain meds - then another half later in the night.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment