Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2023

Aye Aye, Doctor

A balmy 45 degrees today when my sister picked me up for my laser surgery in Waltham.  I was scheduled for a YAG Capsulectomy (in English: Had the layer of tissue separating my vitreous humour from my in-ocular lens removed with a laser).  This was a corrective procedure to eliminate the condensation on the underside of the lens which caused my vision to be less than perfect.

Traffic was free flowing and we arrived at the Surgiste location 45 mins early.  Upon check in the attendant said, "You are early.  Have a seat and I'll call you soon to check you in."  My sister had just returned from the rest room and I joking said that I was yelled at for being early.  The attendant interjected, "I didn't yell at you." I responded that I was joking, but thought that this might get weird.

We sat down and waited.  She called, "Mr Page", but it didn't register, but my sister heard it.  I walked to the counter and said, "That's my father's name."  She chuckled.  So I knew she did have a sense of humor.  I was asked for my insurance cards and my covid vaccination card.  She scanned them into her system, then had me electronically sign some paperwork.  She was interrupted as she was asking if I had a health proxy.  Since my sister is my proxy I pointed out the attendant's name on the screen so she could use it to answer her.  She did, but blamed me for having her do it.  We all laughed.  We finished up and was allowed to go to the 'other-side'.  I bid my sister adieu, and said, " I'll see you on the other side."

Well the other side, unlike biblical/religious lore was just another waiting room.  So I did my time in purgatory then was called for some procedural preparation.  I had my vitals recorded and many eye drops.  I was sent back to purgatory (they must have found another sin I needed to atone for).  Then I was called for some dilation drops.  Then returned to purgatory for twenty minutes of atonement.

Finally, the pearly gates called me in.  More drops, then waited for the doctor to arrive. Upon his arrival he prepared the 'machine' then I received some numbing drops.  I guess it's a good thing because he had a guide lens sit right on my eye.  I just felt pressure, no pain.  Drops were working.

Dr Song had me rest my chin and forehead on the rails of the machine, then had me look at a light.  He then proceeded to play space invaders and I could hear multiple clicks of the trigger and saw a very colorful battle with flashing lights and many explosions.  All scary looking but no pain.  It was over before I knew it.  I received more drops and was returned to purgatory to atone for a really old sin they discovered. About 20 minutes later, I was called.

I entered another examination room and a nurse (Ralph) checked my eye pressure.  It looked like he was training someone because he was describing his every move and what each instrument was for/and doing.  After a few minutes, they both exclaimed in unison: 12.  I know that's a good number from past visits.  I was dismissed and provided with some post op instructions.

I walked back to the main waiting room and found my sister and said we are good to go.  She recommended that I use the facilities prior to leaving (good plan).  We left and she had made me a sandwich and some cookies that I chowed down as we drove home.

Uneventful ride home, and was thankful that the weather and traffic cooperated.  Thank you Leslie for the ride, laughs and the lunch!

I have a post op follow up with Dr Song next week.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment