Total Pageviews

Friday, February 24, 2023

I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr. Demille

I had a call on Tuesday requesting that I have some blood work done in anticipation of my CT Scan/Urogram scheduled for Thursday.  While discussing the timing, I had mentioned that we were supposed to have a 'weather event' that day.  The medical staffer suggested that I move the scan and blood work to Friday, the 24th. Works for me.  Hind sight, I'm so glad that this was rescheduled since Thursday was quite stormy, icy and treacherous.

I got up early today to ensure that I could arrive at the Hospital for my two appointments.  Although I had cleared my driveway the previous day, over night we had freezing rain so there was a coating of ice on everything.  The sun was out and had started to melt the ice, but anything not in direct sunlight was still encrusted.

I bundled up and crossed my fingers that I would be able to open the car door and start the engine to begin the defrost.  I was pleased that I was able to open the door, start the engine and turn on the defroster.  I started chipping away at the ice that had started to melt from the sun.  By the time I was able to clear the partially melted ice, the defroster had begun to work, so I finished off the rest of the car.  By this time it was time to leave.

I arrived at the hospital at 8:45.  The front doors were wide open (frozen open).  I entered through the secondary set of doors and was greeted by the screener who had just set up shop.  She asked my name and began thumbing through some printed sheets.  I guess my name wasn't there.  She powered up her laptop and asked for more identification info, still I wasn't there.  I mentioned that I was originally scheduled for the 23rd, but because of the storm, I was rescheduled to today.  She still couldn't find me.  She had me sit while she looked for someone to help. Not long after, she returned and said that she couldn't find me because I was supposed to be there yesterday.  [Insert ground hog day reference here].

I was referred to a registration clerk and she quickly printed out paperwork.  I was told to wait for the lab to open.  My name was called.  The phlebotomist greeted me and asked for my paper work. I was instructed to sit and roll up my sleeve.  I had mentioned that most have a hard time getting blood and they resort to my hand.  She frowned and said, "They aren't me."  Well she was successful at hitting the mother lode in one try.  I thanked her for not torturing me.  She chuckled.

I walked down to the imaging department and checked in.  I waited for about 15 minutes when someone came and asked who I was and what I was there for.  [So much for the paper work.]  I was then instructed to proceed to the CT Scan waiting area.  I waited there for about 10 minutes and was called in.

After removing my coat and dropping my pants, I lay on the slab.  The attendant said that I was going to have an IV with contrast, but she was going to take some pictures before and after. I had the first round of pictures.  Seemed quick.  She returned and turned the spigot to let in the contrast. She said, "You'll feel a warm sensation.  I'll give you half a dose, then wait 10 minutes and give the rest.  Then we'll take more pictures." It was exactly the way she described it.  And the whole thing was done. 

I got home in time to receive a call scheduling my biopsy for April 13th at Holy Family Methuen.  I would have to drop off a urine sample on April 4th. Many balls in the air for this juggling act.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment