Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Communication log jam

How many times have we found ourselves in situations where the other party was assuming the other party was taking care of things?

Since my last blog, I called Dr. Moore's office to try to get confirmation of the 4/27 surgery date and pre-op stuff.  I had called on a Wednesday and the 'person' had left for the day.  On Thursday I called again and 'the person' had called in sick.  Sharing my frustration with the office worker, he placed me on hold and was soon connected with Lisa.  I had dealings with her before and was hopeful that she would once again pull through. 

After bringing her up to speed, she said that Anna was taking care of that but she would get the folder.  Soon after she said, "Yes, she has you scheduled for the 27th at Holy Family with Drs. Moore and Chatson". I asked about pre-op and the doctor's telling me that I needed an EKG.  She said they could do it the day of the surgery.  As far as the time, she was going to get back to me because the time was not filled in.  Lovely.

I did not hear back that day.  Friday morning at 9AM I called and spoke with Anna. YAY!  She told me that she penciled in 4/27 but was waiting to hear back from me.  Really?  For what?  I said I was operating on that premise since talking to the doctor the previous week.  She said, "Don't worry about a thing I'll firm everything up today".  She did say the surgery was at 1:30, but the hospital will be contacting me with pre-op information.  "What's the best number to reach you today?"  I gave her my work cell. I left it on ringer so I wouldn't miss a call.  Ok, this is going to happen.

All day I kept looking to see if my phone was still on ringer and if I had any missed calls.  I had no calls.  Finishing up the day and making sure things were left in order during my departure, I trekked home.  Getting home, of course I had seven frantic messages on my answering machine from Holy Family asking that I call them to complete some pre-op questions.  Well I guess Anna did start the ball rolling, but Holy Family didn't get the part about calling my work cell.

I listened to each call and each call back and extension - all different voices and extensions. I started to call and each brought me back to the main menu where I received a recorded message that the office ours where 8 - 4:15.  There was one message that asked that I arrive at 10:15 for processing and tests. Looks like I needed to call at 8AM and pre-register.  I planned to be there at 9.

Let the weekend begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment