Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Surgical day care

Surgical day care was a hub of activity.  Not unlike an ER room, there were many patients and twice as many medical professionals.  Each bay was facing the center console area that looked very much like a Star Trek set.

Nurse Jean greeted me as the lorry dropped me off at bay 2.  She quickly got me my an assigned bed for my stay and as it was wheeled into place I was instructed to disrobe and slip on a johnny with the opening in the front. I was provided with two plastic bags for my personal belongings and soon transitioned into one the patients.

I was asked may questions about allergies, sensitivities and past history of surgeries and anesthesia.  I probably spoke with six or seven professionals.  Dr. Moore arrived if full surgical garb (I almost didn't recognize him). He asked which side was being operated on and quickly whipped out a sharpie and wrote something on my chest (that I couldn't read from my angle). [It may have said 'this one'.]

At first I thought he was joking but with the number of patients he and other professionals see and the stories we have heard about the wrong side being operated on, it's probably a good practice to mark the territory.

Dr. Moore reviewed what what going to happen and asked if I had any questions of him.  Yes I did. "I hope you had a nice restful vacation and that your are as sharp as a razor - no pun intended."  He chuckled and replied that he did. "It was very restful and invigorating for the mind and body."  Earlier in the day [probably because the blog had not been updated], my sister had sent me an email that said she assumed that I was NOT having surgery (today).

She wrote:   
In the nuclear industry we keep track of human-error precursors.  Workers are more likely to make a mistake on the first day back from vacation.  Since Dr. Moore had been on vacation till April 26, I’m glad you are not under the knife today, his first day back on the job!

Thanks for the jinx Les (LOL)

I responded with:
Thanks for the words of comfort.
I do have surgery today  Never assume...
There's a note on my PC to call you if I don't make it.

Her response:
Good luck!  It’s Joe Page’s birthday, so I’d appreciate it if you didn’t spoil the day by dying.  JK 

Not long after, Dr. Chatson arrived and had a briefing/consultation  which involved dueling sharpies.  Dr. Moore said, as he drew, "I was thinking of...". Dr. Chatson said, as he drew, "Yes, right here and here and where ever you need to cut for the node(s)..."  Both were in agreement and each asked if I had any questions.  "Not at this time" I said.  "Ok, we'll see you at around 1:30", Dr. Moore responded.

After they left I looked down and saw what appeared to be an eye with my nipple being the iris.  To me it looked like far less tissue being whacked off.  Encouraging.

Waiting for the clock to move, there was some excitement. Someone said they could smell something burning. Apparently there was a brush fire in the back of the hospital and it was permeating into the air exchange.  At first it was reminiscent of incense, but it got stronger and I thought that we would have to be evacuated.  Luckily it dissipated and an announcement on the intercom settled everyone's concerns.

It got to be close to 3PM when I was told I was being moved to the operating room.  Here we go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment