Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A major milestone reached

I had a follow-up visit with Dr. Chatson today to see how I was healing since the drains were removed.  Yesterday, I was able to take a shower for the first time since last week's second surgery.  I had removed the bandages and saw the aftermath of the trauma.  I was shocked to see so much bruising.  I literally looked like I had been run over.  Really ugly.  But of course I took some pictures to document the progress. [Not for the squeamish.]

It was quite busy in his office today.  The last few times I was the only one there, but it was like an airline terminal.  After waiting the obligatory 45 minutes, I was called into the examining room where my vitals were taken and recorded.  "They will be with you shortly", I was told.  [They?]

About 15 minutes later, one of the nurses came in and looked at the surgical area and asked how things were going.  I had mentioned the bruising and she said she noticed it the other day at the hospital.  [She was the one wearing the mask.]  She also said that it hadn't gotten any worse, which is a good thing. She said the doctor would be in shortly then quickly turned back to share the pathology results for the tissue removed last Tuesday.  No residual cancer found in all tissue removed!  Apparently some muscle tissue was also removed during the procedure which explains some of the soreness if/when I attempt to lift my arm. But the news of the day - I successfully beat this cancer.

Dr. Chatson arrived and looked at the area and exclaimed that it was healing nicely.  He said that scar tissue starts off tight but loosens over time.  Before the next phase of reconstruction I am going to need about four months of healing.  He spoke the next four months aloud (as if counting) and said, "So we'll start in September."  However, he wants to see me in a month.  He said that I should 'take it easy' for another week.

It was a good news day - for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment