Total Pageviews

Friday, May 15, 2015

Thar she blows

Since my release, I've been religiously recording the output of my two drains with the hopes of their removal today.  One drain had produced little output, but the other performed as expected.  After looking at the results, I was one call away from visiting Dr. Chatson's office for the removal of the drains.

Just before the office opened today (prior to my calling), drain number 1 decided to increase production. So much so that I had to empty the bulb three times in an hour.  This was quite concerning [not to mention very Dexter-esque].

I called the office and was told to come in for an evaluation.  Dr. Chatson was out of state but the PA [who had assisted in the past] would change the dressing and evaluate the condition and consult with Dr. Chatson via phone.

Arriving at the office I was quickly seen and upon examination it appeared that the output was fresh blood. Shelley left the room to consult Dr. Chatson.  Upon returning she asked if I had anything to eat today.  I had coffee and a muffin.  She told me to abstain from eating/drinking anything and head over to Holy Family where I may have emergency surgery.  Dr. Moore was already at the hospital performing surgeries today, so he wanted to evaluate the condition and make the determination to operate now or do nothing.

Arriving at the Breast Cancer Care Unit, I met Nurse Brenda who brought me into an examination room where I was readied for Dr. Moore.  Dr. Moore arrived, looked at the surgical area, pressed some areas that were swollen and asked a few questions about pain level and other symptoms (I was not having).  By this time the output had slowed to 'normal'.  He said he would call Dr. Chatson and discuss the next steps.

A few moments later, The doctor arrived and said that Dr. Chatson agrees to 'do nothing', but I would be scheduled for surgery Monday.  At that time, Dr. Chatson would make the determination if surgery would be warranted.  However, if the output continues at the current rate (or less) over the weekend, then no surgery would be required.

So I'll have these drains over the weekend.  It was scary for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment