Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

I should really play the lottery

Only a small percentage of men get breast cancer.  Only a small percentage of post operative pathology result require additional surgery.  BINGO!

Received a call from Dr. Moore today who wanted to 'chat' about my pathology results.  Like the sword of Damocles, this had been over my head since being told that the removed tissue undergoes an initial pathology then a subsequent (full blown) pathology.

The good news is the lymph nodes are OK.  The bad news is that I'll need another surgery to take 'a little more' tissue near the 'foot' [not my feet].  The way it was explained, the 'edge' of the cancer was a millimeter from the tissue remaining.  Because it's so close, for certainty, a subsequent surgery was recommended to take more tissue.  The other option was radiation which I have strong feelings against.

Dr. Moore told me that he had consulted with Dr. Chatson and both were in agreement with this approach.  However, Dr. Moore said that he would reach out to Drs. Mehta and Goff to get their concurrence.   They may disagree.  If they do and I am convinced of their reasoning, then this surgery won't happen and I would be forced to go the radiation route.

The way I see it [at this moment], the surgical site is still 'fresh'.  The tissue hasn't healed enough to warrant new cuts so a revisit should be less invasive.  The proposed approach will be targeted to the 'foot' area and not the lymph nodes.  So I anticipate a similar (and hopefully lesser) degree of pain/discomfort and extended healing period (with my favorite-but hopefully fresh drain).

Dr. Moore said that he would schedule the surgery once he aligns with Dr. Chatson's availability.  Dr. Moore's office will be in contact with a date.  If Drs. Mehta and Goff have differing opinions, then the date will be canceled.  I asked when he thought this might take place, and he said next week or the week after.  Personally I hope this is sooner than later.

More to come.  Off to by a lottery ticket on this cinco de Mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment