Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dr. Moore follow-up

So much has happened since my first surgery one month ago today.  I had a follow-up with Dr. Moore today to see how I was healing and chat about my next chapter - chemo.  I guess it's a good thing that all the doctors communicate, because Dr. Moore was right on top of where I am, my next steps (Dana Farber), my decision on treatment option (type of chemo), and my 'start date' (6/11).

We had a good conversation (felt like an exit interview).  We discussed the pros and cons of the decisions already made and how I could be regretting a decision if I had decided not to go the chemo route based on a one in four chance of recurrence.  If the cancer had decided to metastasize in my liver or lung, dealing with the cancer at that point would be so much more intense.

Clearly the biggest fear I have is the unknown.  For most undergoing chemo, there are certain side effects that are a given, but all the other side effects are based on the individual.  To me, it feels like roulette.  You don't know until the wheel stops what happens next.  That's my anxious fear.

So I asked Dr. Moore, what was next. He said, "I'll see you in 6 months."  He did add that he might see me earlier if I need a reservoir.  Come again?  Reservoir?

He said it's not uncommon to place a reservoir near my clavicle so the chemotherapy drugs can be injected and moved into my blood stream quicker without damaging the veins.  I said, "Does it require a surgery?".  He said, "Yes, it's an outpatient procedure."  He did say that I may not need it also. [Why am I thinking that I will?]  He said when it's done, he just removes it.  [Visions of the drain enter my head.]  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I had asked the doctor if I could return to work.  After asking what I specifically did for work, he said yes, I could.  I asked him to send an OK to return to work letter to HR.  He shook my hand and said he would have it done immediately.

I scheduled my follow up (November 30th) and provided the fax number for HR.

So, after one month, I'm back to work - for a little while at least.  I have two medical appointments next week and chemo starts on 6/11.  From that point it's unknown how I will be and what I can do.

Work ends for me on 6/30.

More to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment