Total Pageviews

Friday, March 13, 2015

Follow-up with Doctor Moore

Isn't it weird when sometime you are thinking about calling someone, when they call you?

After my consultation with Dr. Mehta, I was thinking about touching base with Dr. Moore.  I called his office on the way to work Thursday morning and his answering service said the office opens at 9 AM.  It was very busy at work so I didn't get a chance to call him during business hours. However, when I got home, there was a message from him to give him a call.

I called Dr. Moore today and we chatted a bit.  Having gone through my recent crash course in biology and cancer treatment I was able (at least I thought) to articulate and participate in high level discussions about what I've learned, my options and my immediate concerns: vanity; radiation; and long-term regimen of taking a drug with concerning side effects.

I did tell him that Dr. Mehta had scheduled an appointment with the radiologist and a number of tests that I thought may prove quite useful in helping me make an informed decision.  Dr. Moore agreed with Dr. Metha's requests for the genetic (panel) test, CT and Bone scans and said all will assist him (if I select him) in his approach to treatment/surgery.

In our discussion, he did say the word 'reconstruction' which I keyed in on.  Of course human vanity would pick up on that.  "Doctor, you said reconstruction surgery, what would that entail and is it separate?"

Dr. Moore said that reconstruction surgery is very common and could be part of the surgery.  He said he's never heard of insurance not paying for it (probably because it all happens at the same time). He said that after the tissue is removed, the skin flaps are reattached and he forms a divot.  He said he could elaborate more after the test results come in and he has the best approach for treatment. He asked me to call him after I see Dr. Mehta on the 31st.

So I'm leaning toward a mastectomy with reconstructive surgery with no radiation.  Of course there are assumptions involved.

I'm getting my questions ready for Dr. Inglehart at Dana Farber.

No comments:

Post a Comment