Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lining Up Consultations

So doctor, it's cancer you tell me.  "What am I looking at for treatment?" I asked.  "Well male breast cancer has a similar treatment as female breast cancer.  The breast and nipple are removed from the clavicle to the underarm.  Depending on the type and stage of the cancer a series of lymph nodes will need to be removed."  So what I was hearing was a radical mastectomy.  I asked if he was giving me the worst case scenario and she said no.  "This is middle of the road.  Depending on other factors some of the rib cage might need to be removed portion of the lung and arm muscle.  That's more of a worse case scenario."  He suggested that I speak with an oncologist and take a BRAC genetic test. I did scribble note of our conversation in hopes of adding them to my now growing set of folders.

Being diagnosed with Male Breast Cancer threw me for a loop.  After the initial shock, I started researching my malady on the Internet.  I learned so much in such a short period of time. But there was so much more to know. Ok. Let's start with the 'known'.

My mother and eldest sister had breast cancer and each had mastectomies.  My paternal aunt had colon cancer.  So there is a history.  I was unsure what the BRAC test would mean to me, but I'm no doctor.  What I don't know is what type and what stage.  My research brought me to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.  Since male breast cancer is rare, I really need to see doctors that deal exclusively with this.  I sent in an online request and the following day received a call from Judy O'Brien.  What an angel.  Very supportive and a great guide.  We spoke for quite a bit and in the end she agreed that coming to Dana Farber made the most sense.  She called me back a few times to ensure that any questions I had were answered.  Shortly after I was provided via email a packet and information.  She was clear that the decision was mine to make, but it should be based on good information.  Also, I was not obliged to continue with Dana Farber if I felt I had better treatment options elsewhere.

The next day, Judy called me at work and asked if I was available to meet with the team at Dana Farber.  She was trying to arrange a series of back to back appointments and asked that I be flexible on that day, March 10th.  I agreed and proceeded to take the day off form work.  Judy reached out to me a number of times and gave me good instructions on how to get copies of my images and medical records from Holy Family. Eventually I was scheduled to see Dr. Inglehart and Dr. Overmoyer.

In the interim, Dr. Moore's staff had followed up with an Oncologist at Holy Family - Methuen.  I'm scheduled for an appointment the morning of March 11th.  I figure after having both hospitals providing their input back to back, I should be in a good place to make a decision on the treatment and which location.

No comments:

Post a Comment